DC-6B - Legends of Flight touchdown sound advice

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

DC-6B - Legends of Flight touchdown sound advice

Post by Nigel H-J »

Bought the Just Flight DC6B Legends of Flight during their Xmas sale and presently getting used to the nav aids (slightly different to say the least from the Argosy and Viscount) apart from that I am rather hoping that someone here may also have the DC6 and be able to help me.

On landing no touchdown sound can be heard, I know that this may only be a minor quibble but if you do a greaser of a landing it would be nice to hear confirmation that the a/c has actually made contact with mother earth!or in this case the runway. I have edited the sound file cfg and made changes even to the point of adding other touchdown sounds which I have previously done on other models but with this model I cannot seem to make it even give a squeak.

I have even tried putting the touch down sound into the a/c sound file but that does not work either yet I can hear quite clearly the flaps and u/c.

If anyone can give me some help here I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks.
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: DC-6B - Legends of Flight touchdown sound advice

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Nige :hello:

I've not had the DC6 loaded for a long time and can't remember if I ever had an audible tyre screech on TD. To be honest.. there are very few (if any) I hear this on without the likes of Accu-Feel which currently, is also not installed. Would you really hear tyre screech from the FD of a DC6?? I dunno though I hear where you're coming from. The DC6 (in particular) can be a 'floater' and a little audible prompt is nice. I'll see if I can drag it off my old FSX install (I don't want to re-install it again properly) and see what pops up ;)

Other than this.. Accu-Feel will give audible tyre screech in pretty much all your models as well as the other things it does. You don't need to be online to activate it though you will need some way to buy and download it from A2A.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nige..

The DC6 doesn't have a touchdown 'screech' sound. Here's the entry for touchdown from the sound.cfg:
[LEFT_TOUCHDOWN]
filename=touchla, touchlb, touchlc, touchld

[RIGHT_TOUCHDOWN]
filename=touchra, touchrb, touchrc, touchrd

[CENTER_TOUCHDOWN]
filename=touchca, touchcb, touchcc, touchcd

All of these files give a 'thump' sound effect rather than what you're expecting. The 'screech' TD files are either bmtouch* or cmtouch*. You could try swapping the entries for bm/cm touch files but I couldn't guarantee this wouldn't give you a sound error. Worth trying I suppose but keep a backup. If all else fails.. you can copy the entries above back if it all goes wrong :)

EDIT: Here's a link I found at SoH describing another workaround by using the default sound 'chirp' (which is the screech sound)..
[LEFT_TOUCHDOWN]
filename=chirp //cmtouch1, cmtouch2, cmtouch3
[RIGHT_TOUCHDOWN]
filename=chirp //cmtouch4, cmtouch5, cmtouch6
[CENTER_TOUCHDOWN]
filename=chirp //cmtouch7, cmtouch8

Basically.. what this does is use the chirp sound. What the user has done is added chirp after filename= and has then remmed out (//) the ones for that model. If this doesn't work.. just backspace out chirp // and your original file will be restored :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dave, time up on computer but will reply properly when tried out your help on Monday
Kind regards Nigel

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Rgr that Nige ;)

I've just tried 'chirp' and have to say the results are less than earth shattering.. I didn't hear it 8) The JF DC6 sounds are not the best I've heard TBH.. they're 'all or nothing' on my setup and like a few others.. the sounds don't always let go. By this.. I mean you can go from full throttle to closed throttle when listening outside and you may still hear full throttle (or somewhere inbetween) unless the throttles are opened and closed again.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, chirp did not work for me either, in fact none of the touchdown sounds work at all, even the tyre rumble is not there. I see what you mean regarding the engine noises as I too have had that experience.

Are there any other full DC6 sounds that would work with the Just Flight version that you know of that I could use ? I only bought this version as it was going for a fiver!! 8)

Will be here til 11.00 then it will be Wednesday before I get back to the library.

Best regards

Nigel

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Nigel,

Sorry to butt in, but you may find something useful here ? http://www.calclassic.com/dc6b.htm
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

If anyone fancies sending me the sound folder, I will fix it.

Nev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that link Colin. I probably have these on some dark and dusty HD somewhere but I'll download them again and have a listen. ;)

Nev.. thanks for the offer. If the CC sounds don't cut the mustard.. standby for the JF cfg :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

In real life I once flew in an airliner which I thought was a DC something...But it had four Merlins. The flight was from Khormaksar to Nairobi...So what was the "something"?. The year was 1959.