DC-6B - Legends of Flight touchdown sound advice

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: DC-6B - Legends of Flight touchdown sound advice

Post by Dev One »

petermcleland wrote:In real life I once flew in an airliner which I thought was a DC something...But it had four Merlins. The flight was from Khormaksar to Nairobi...So what was the "something"?. The year was 1959.
Argonaut? a DC 4 with Merlins.

Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed.. the DC4M ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, went back and re-read your first thread regarding Accu-Feel, after viewing it on You Tube I have now decided that I will buy it, rather like the idea of simulated bumps along the taxi ways and runways especially at take-off!

So that's it, my mind is made up and thanks for the HU! :thumbsup:

Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

OK mate :thumbsup: It is infinitely tweakable and you can turn individual models on or off at the press of a button. TBH.. I like to get a feel of what the author wanted first without Accu-feel prodding its finger in. If I'm happy with what the author/developer has provided.. I often turn it off.. but for the 'ground' section which I leave on just to get screeching tyres :lol: You can do with it as you wish of course ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nige.. should you pop back.. I downloaded and tried the soundset linked to CalClassic and was a little disappointed.. more so as it's one of Gary Jones sets and I have the greatest admiration for his work. I fly the DC6 so rarely, it doesn't really matter so its not the end of the world ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:Indeed.. the DC4M ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
Thanks Dave and Keith...I could not remember it...Still doesn't ring a bell though, but it must be right. I remember I had just bought a duty free camera in Aden and took a lot of pictures, inside on route, much the the pretty Hostie's annoyance :lol:

I must try to find those pics...They were black and white and my first with the Braun Paxette :agree:

kremin
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by kremin »

Lancastrian.....??? :dunno:
best regards

Rick Canham
South Australia

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nooo.. a Lancastrian wasn't a DC anything. They came and went with the wind unfortunately. I can't remember the exact detail behind the Argonaut/DC4M but it was a break with tradition for Douglas. The deal was done for us (and exclusively us) to have the DC4 built with Merlins (hence the M suffix) and we weren't allowed to sell them on. It was purely a UK thing. I'm sure that Garry will be along to fill in all the gaps.. of which there are many :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nige.. should you pop back..
I have!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for trying out the sound set linked to CalClassic Dave, much appreciated. :thumbsup: Will be buying the Accu-Feel later next month so looking forward to that experience.

Again many thanks.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

DaveB wrote:Nooo.. a Lancastrian wasn't a DC anything. They came and went with the wind unfortunately. I can't remember the exact detail behind the Argonaut/DC4M but it was a break with tradition for Douglas. The deal was done for us (and exclusively us) to have the DC4 built with Merlins (hence the M suffix) and we weren't allowed to sell them on. It was purely a UK thing. I'm sure that Garry will be along to fill in all the gaps.. of which there are many :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
Dave, Just done a quick google....DC4M's were made by Canadair, & according to them it was a mishmash, bits of DC6, C54 & DC4. (I thought there was a Canadian connection). Apparently they chose Merlins to give a higher cruise speed.
Keith