Angle of Attack when landing.

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Angle of Attack when landing.

Post by cstorey »

Well, 76 kts is finals speed ( 2 engine ) in my notes which stem from when I was current on the Seneca, now admittedly about 25 years ago. 76 kts is, of course, almost exactly 90 mph ( actually it's 87.5 but no one is that accurate ! ) so your notes and mine tend to correspond ( as within 1 0r 2 percent do the other speeds given ) . Where 89 knots ( as opposed to mph) may have crept in is that 89 kts is the best climb speed single engined, so for a go around you immediately aim for 89 kts

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Whoa Nigel...You have suddenly gone to MPH while all previous were Knots!
Oooh 'eck!! :doh: Thanks for pointing out my mistake Peter, in all honesty I had not realised that it was MPH as I assumed it was in knots, now I know why I had problems trying to stop before the hedge on some other small airfields I flew into.....My approach was too fast!! :-O

Hi Chris, I think Peter has solved this for us, I had not paid sufficient attention when reading the PDF File, just goes to show how such a stupid mistake could cost an aircraft if landing on a small strip!! :worried:

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 11 Feb 2015, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi cstorey, sorry, forgotton your first name!!
It's Chris ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dave, now amended! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Nigel H-J wrote:
Whoa Nigel...You have suddenly gone to MPH while all previous were Knots!
Oooh 'eck!! :doh: Thanks for pointing out my mistake Peter, in all honesty I had not realised that it was MPH as I assumed it was in knots, now I know why I had problems trying to stop before the hedge on some other small airfields I flew into.....My approach was too fast!! :-O

Hi Chris, I think Peter has solved this for us, I had not paid sufficient attention when reading the PDF File, just goes to show how such a stupid mistake could cost an aircraft if landing on a small strip!! :worried:

Regards
Nigel.
Don't fret too much Nigel. Real pilots (or at least pilots with paying jobs flying an airplane) have done the same recently with no less than 4 Embraer Phenoms running off the end of runways around the US which were operated by notable operators like NetJets and Flight Options.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Chris. At least if I do happen to run off the end of the r/w at least I don't have to worry about repairs...just reset the flight!!! :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.