Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Yes.. at least one of the lads at SoH has put the A2A flight deck into Manfred's Strat. I don't think it would contravene any EULA's as a) it's done in the comfort of your own home and b) it doesn't require reverse engineering. The EULA would be compromised if you started distributing it :cpu:
I've never tried it myself but you'll know that FSX models come in two parts.. the external model is one mdl and the internal model is another. It's a matter of using the internal mdl from A2A with Manfred's external mdl then referencing one to the other accordingly to make sure it fits and all the gauges etc work. TBH.. while Manfred's reworked Greg Pepper panel may lack the artistic flair of A2A's Strat.. it does have the shift+4 monitor panel which more than compensates for me. Nothing to stop you having a go though ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for that Dave, and yes, you're most likely right about the EULA issue. Right then - I think I'll give it a go. I'll try using the flight deck from one model with a different external model. It's bound to be simple and straight forward. What could possibly go wrong ?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It's bound to be simple and straight forward. What could possibly go wrong ?
:wasntme:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Dave, a query for you, and of course anyone else who has this package: the KC-97G, the one with the large external fuel tanks. Can you see a feint exhaust coming from those fuel tanks, as if it was a KC-97L with jets ? They are very very faint, but if you look closely you can see just them on this picture:

EDIT: Here's the picture I posted on the A2A forum. Following the line back from the fuel tanks, there are definitely exhaust trails, don't you think ?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. I'd say you're right. Obviously not an issue prior to the L but that definitely looks like jet smoke.. a consequence of using one file for all models. Believe it or not.. I have a different set of cfg's for 3 of the 6 types (I mainly fly the G and the 2 tankers) so it should be easy to eradicate.

I don't suppose you had jets selected did you? You shouldn't be able to on the non-L models but who knows *-) Let me take one up and have a look :)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I tried to select the jets on the shift+4 panel, just to see if I could then turn them off, but it came up with something like 'jets unavailable because the aircraft doesn't have KC-97L in the title' or similar. I'm also getting very severe nose-ups and stalls when using the autopilot, possibly after the sim has been paused for a while ( need to try and make it happen again, in order to be sure ).

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. the jet smoke effect is definitely showing on the other models too. I'd have thought these would have been attached to the model but as they're affecting all of them.. it must be a cfg entry.

I had a pretty severe nose up stall yesterday too but put that down to bad management on my part. I was under AP with heading and alt set and decided to creep up another 3K to avoid the clouds. Went to make a coffee and when I came back.. the nose was just going ballistic. Some 12deg of pitch had been introduced!! I didn't have speed hold set mind you but I'd have thought it would have been able to make the 3K as it was. I didn't select a V/S.. I let the default setting do it. I wasn't paused.. I just let it do it's own thing. My presumption was I lost enough airspeed to cause a stall with the AP Alt hold trying to hang on to the climb making matters worse. Someone else has reported similar so we'll have to keep an eye on it.

Unless Manfred separates the models (and I don't think he will).. the only other alternative is for the jet smoke to be attached to the L model rather than have it as a cfg entry.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

DaveB wrote: .. at least one of the lads at SoH has put the A2A flight deck into Manfred's Strat. I don't think it would contravene any EULA's as a) it's done in the comfort of your own home and b) it doesn't require reverse engineering. The EULA would be compromised if you started distributing it :cpu:
Actually I don't think the EULA would be compromised at all Dave as you would not be sharing any A2A parts and the end user would have to have the A2A Strat anyway in order to make it work. The only thing that would need to be shared would be either the modified model.cfg file from Manfred's C-97 or the text contents of said file. All you are doing is calling the A2A interior model instead of Manfred's interior model. I would suspect that there could be issues with the merger though as some switches/controls in the interior model may not activate parts in the exterior model especially if they have been custom coded (as most complex aircraft are).

EDIT:
Thinking a bit more about this you may also have to alias the panel info too especially if the donor interior has 2D gauges (which the A2A Strat does not have).
Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm..

I started seeing odd things with the C97.. something had obviously been corrupted along the way. Outside views were wrong and 3 of the models wouldn't display. Sooo.. I binned it and reinstalled from the zip. All working well now.

As far as the smoke is concerned.. with the fresh install.. I only see it on the L model and only when the jets are running. It can be 'forced' on on any model if you use the L key instead of the switches but otherwise.. it only displays on the L model. I've no idea what went wrong with the previous install but a reinstall has it all tickertyboo ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage