Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Post by Aharon »

I have successfully added C-97 model base along with liveries to KC-97 folder!!!

Now time for me to figure out a trick how to make liveries interexchangable between C-97 and KC-97 :) :) hheheheheheheh

Regards,

Aharon

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

That's good news Aharon. :thumbsup:

Brian

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks, FlyTexas :cheers:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I have successfully added C-97 model base along with liveries to KC-97 folder!!!

Now time for me to figure out a trick how to make liveries interexchangable between C-97 and KC-97 :) :) hheheheheheheh
Aharon.. all the new C-97 paints fit the KC-97 so with that in mind.. the KC-97 paints should also fit the C-97. A trick to make one paint display on another model (though not on both at the same time) is to change the model= line in the aircraft.cfg. For example.. all KC-97's are listed as model=KC97G and if you look at the C-97 entries.. they're model=C97G. If you want a particular KC-97 paint on the C-97 model.. look at it's entry in the aircraft.cfg and change the model= line from KC97G to C97G. They both use the same sounds and airfile so you shouldn't have to do more :)

Of course.. none of the refuelling parts will be mapped on the C-97 paints so if you move paints from the C97 to KC97.. you may end up with unmapped refuelling booms and refuelling marks but if you move paints the other way.. from the KC to the C.. you will also get (possibly) refuelling lines on the bottom of the fuse that shouldn't be there. No gain without pain I'm afraid. Best thing is to try it and see how they look ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Dave, Yes I absolutely agree with you!!!! That is why I call it "figure out a trick how to make liveries interexchangable between C-97 and KC-97". The problem is to know which texture as all textures are in DDS format meaning NO texture preview on the file directory!!!

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Aharon..

If you want to look at what is actually on any texture map, there's a brilliant program called DXTBmp and the best part is that it's free!! Here's a link.. http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

I don't know for sure but I'm pretty certain the tankers will have refuelling lines painted onto the fuse maps (rather than them be on a separate map) so the only way I can see to successfully pass one paint to another would be to paint out the lines.. a lot of work. I downloaded both available paint kits (one by Manfred and the other by Dave Quincy) and they both differ in how they're laid out. Manfreds kit has little or no markings.. it's basically a bare metal paint kit. Dave Quincy's on the other hand has a lot of detail but it's laid out differently. On Manfreds.. the fuselage is in at least 2 parts (2 maps) and on Dave's.. it's all on one map so you have to cut the map yourself to make it fit the model. That stopped me having a paint :lol:

Try changing the model entry first and look at how it appears in the sim. Then.. using DXTBmp, you'll be able to find the map which corresponds to the area you want ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Yes, Dave That is DXTBmp that I am trying to avoid!!! Last time I tried to use it JUST FOR SIMPLE VIEWING of textures, it messed up textures :-O :-O :$ :$ :rant: :rant: and I could not locate a painter to fix it :wall: :wall: . So that is end of preview adventure for me using DXTBmp :) :) :doh: :doh: :doh:

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

It's fine Aharon :) Just click on the file you want to look at and do no more. Either exit or hit the X button in the top RH corner :cpu: Don't try and save or save as and you'll be ok ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

:) Or when a painter paints Israeli air force livery on C-97, I am going to ask him if he can convert it to KC-97 :) And I hope a painter would be receptive to my request since he has to paint fuel boom too :) That is only one transfer I need since Israeli air force used two different liveries for KC-97s.

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Okey doh ;)

I presume that the 2 liveries used were the original C-97 with Israeli/English titles and like the one JanKees painted without titles for the KC-97. I've not looked to see what the exact differences are but presumably.. the schemes are the same but for the titles. It shouldn't be too difficult to add those titles.. assuming of course one has an Israeli font installed.. oh, and the small matter of the refuelling lines under the fuse. I'd have thought that JanKees would have those on a separate layer so it should be a matter of deselecting the layer and there it is.. gone :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage