DME on Just Flight DC6

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

DME on Just Flight DC6

Post by Nigel H-J »

Yes, I know, there ain't one!! :(

I am sure that there were some DC6's fitted with a DME and although I thoroughly enjoy flying the Just FLight version one thing that does let it down is a lack of a DME.

All my navigation is done by reference points i.e. using VOR or NDB's when nearing destination so then I just have to time my descents prior to approach but I would much prefer to have a DME if possible!!

Can anyone please advise how to put one in? :worried:
is it easy? :help:
is there an idiot proof way of doing it? 8) :poke: As I don't have a clue!! :dunno:

Certainly would appreciate any input or even if it would be allowed by adding one to a Just Flight payware aircraft without first obtaining permission.

Many thanks in advance.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: DME on Just Flight DC6

Post by DaveB »

Strewth Nigel.. I only deleted this yesterday because I don't fly it :lol:

Re adding anything to a payware model.. you can do exactly as you wish in the confines of your own home ;)

I'm not into adding things to VC's.. it all got too complicated for a) my level of skill and b) my level of interest but I'll have a look ;)

Anyway.. as you're doing things the long winded way.. you should be able to fix your position using VOR's and NDB's and know exactly where you are at any given time. Armchair pilots!! :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Strewth Nigel.. I only deleted this yesterday because I don't fly it :lol:

That'll teach you!!! :rofl: :rofl:
I'm not into adding things to VC's.. it all got too complicated for a) my level of skill and b) my level of interest but I'll have a look ;)
Neither am I......Hence the post!!! 8)
Anyway.. as you're doing things the long winded way.. you should be able to fix your position using VOR's and NDB's and know exactly where you are at any given time. Armchair pilots!! :lol:
That's just it.................an armchair pilot with too much of a workload and no time for refreshments!! :party: :cheers: :lol:

Take your time having a look Dave as I won't be back here till Wednesday :thumbsup:

Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nigel..

I don't have the benefit of FSPanel Studio on this pc so here's a very quick and dirty solution to your problem. The radio stack in the DC6 is from the default King Air model and doesn't, as you know, have a DME radio. However.. the one off the Maule does and they're nicer looking radios so.. swap the radio stacks over. If you don't know how to do that, here's what I did to make it work..

//[Window02]
//file=Radio_Stack_bg.bmp
//file_1024_night=Radio_Stack_bg_night.bmp
//size_mm=196,349
//window_size_ratio=1.300
//position=8
//visible=0
//ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL

//gauge00=KingAir_Radio!Com1, 0,59
//gauge01=KingAir_Radio!Com2, 106,59
//gauge02=KingAir_Radio!Nav1, 0,155
//gauge03=KingAir_Radio!Nav2, 106,155
//gauge04=KingAir_Radio!Adf, 0,251
//gauge05=KingAir_Radio!Xpndr, 106,251
//gauge06=KingAir_Radio!Audio, 0,0
[window02]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
size_mm=156,229
windowsize_ratio=1.6
position=8
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio, 0, 0
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1, 0, 29
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2, 0, 86
gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME, 0, 143
gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr, 0, 182

All I did was comment out the original [window02] and add the detail for the Maule radio stack. All you need to do is open the panel.cfg for the DC6 (you'll have to do this for each variant.. Cargo, Domestic and Intercontinental).. comment out the original entry (if you want to keep it for later) and add the new [window02] entry as you see it above. You don't need to do anything about the Bendix King gauge.. it's in the FSX gauges folder and FSX already knows where to look. Just make your [window02] look like mine and away you go :cpu:

You may have to resize the window using the mouse when you open it in the sim but that's all you need to do. You now have even MORE time on your hands!! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Brilliant Dave, thank you so much now as you said I will have even more time on my hands.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave :hello:

Followed your instructions regarding the Maul radio stack but unfortunately the DC6 nav radio is still present with no DME showing. Looked high and low in the cockpit just in case it was where it shouldn't be but nope, nothing, nowt!! :help:

OK, another thought came across my mind was that is there a way to put a stand alone DME in the model such as one that just shows the distance remaining from the VOR?

No worries if you can't think of a way round this, just means that I will have less time on my hands than hoped!! :lol:

Regards
NIgel

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Oh dear.. when I saw a post here by you.. I knew it would be trouble :lol:

I don't understand why it doesn't work for you when it works for me *-) This doesn't change any of the VC radios.. it simply changes the radio stack in the 2D window. Let me go and have another look. ;)
ATB
Dave :cpu:
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nige.. here I am sat at Culdrose. I had a quick look at the map to find the nearest VOR with DME and it was Lands End. That freq is tuned on NAV1 and you can see the DME readout in the DME radio..

Are you sure the VOR you've chosen has DME? Not all do and some pretend to be TACAN's which don't show at all.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Oh dear.. when I saw a post here by you.. I knew it would be trouble :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear, maybe I was expecting something completely different. :S In fact I was expecting something completely different!! :-#

Now that you have put up that screen shot I can see where I haven't looked, for the pop up window!!!!! :$ :hide: :$

I shall now return home after my session here at the library and sheepishly go back and pull up that pop up!!! :doh:

Many thanks Dave, I will keep my other questions til later...........much later. :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You know.. I had a feeling you were expecting something else.. eg, for the radios in the VC to be completely different :lol: The clues were there Nige.. 'Window02' NOT 'VCockpit02'. Go on.. get outa here!! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage