FSX Grumman Mallard

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FSX Grumman Mallard

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

It's probably me Paul. I was trying to reply on my Win10 tablet which has a very annoying spell checker/auto-suggest on it. I say annoying because I often have to type things I want to say 3 times in order for the spell check not to change it. After a few minutes of typing and re-typing then reading what I've put only to see it's changed other words.. I lose my rag :lol: Believe it or not.. the same thing on my Windows phone is a darned site better!! If I want to type bollocks.. I can do so without looking down to see it's been changed to bollards! :lol:

I don't want to labour the white paint phenomena but you can still use it if you want. I tried to find the relevant passage about what you can and can't do yesterday but failed.. typically.. probably due to my typing frustrations on the tablet :lol: Anywho.. with Peters lovely G paint for it, who needs the white version now :thumbsup:

Y'all have a good day y'hear (and what a fine start it is too :-O ) ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

:lol: :lol: No probs Dave - I'll implement your fix, and thanks for taking the time to tell me about it. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

This Mallard reminds me of the Grumman Goose, and not just for the obvious reason that it's a Grumman amphibian. IMO, the FSX Goose was one of best default aircraft Microsoft ever gave us. It was simple to fly, had everything you needed in terms of avionics, looked pretty good and of course could land anywhere. I get that same impression with the Mallard - its a vice-less and very useful go-anywhere aircraft, the sort of thing you could use for a planned-out trip, or just for a quick tour of some new scenery. DG's Rapide is the same.

Anyway, it's a cracker:-

And of course, I now have Mr.Watkin's G-ASCS:- ( I wish LM and/or Nvidia would get P3D's antialiasing sorted out )

Incidentally, Peter, I don't suppose you have the flight plan for G-ASCS' trip from Paris to Libreville and back, do you ?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. I agree with that. The default Goose is one of the better models both inside and out (I keep the white one installed) :lol: With so few seaplane bases in the UK (currently zero but for a jetty I added to ES IoS to enable me to access my summer retreat!!).. it rarely gets used. I'll have to download the Mallard just to throw Peters paint at it :lol: Rude not to :thumbsup:

Looks nice in Pan Am mate :cpu:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

MilesMan
Lightning
Lightning

Post by MilesMan »

Paul, I'm not sure you would want to fly 'SCS's route. Apparently the owner had decided to use the aircraft on a business trip to Central Africa. The Mallard cleared customs at Luton, bound ultimately for Libreville, Gabon. The outward flight was complicated by a strike in France and initially 'SCS had to take a devious route via Brussels, Geneva, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon! Political considerations on the West African coastal route caused minor delays but the Mallard proceeded via Agadir, Las Palmas, Dakar, Freetown, Abidjan and Cotonou, arriving at Libreville on June 7 1968 after a mechanically trouble-free journey of 5,280 miles. The return flight of 4,580 miles to Le Bourget was made in 29+ hours flying time over 3 days via Abidjan, Freetown, Wakar, El Aoiun (Spanish Sahara), Casablanca and Biarritz.
Good luck if you intend to duplicate the flight!

:cheers: Peter

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks very much for the info, Peter. I may well give it a try - of course, I'll go to my realism settings first and untick 'French air traffic controllers on strike'. :lol:

BTW, do you have any other repaints in mind for the Mallard ?

MilesMan
Lightning
Lightning

Post by MilesMan »

Hi Paul. I had not intended to do any other paints for the Mallard but one caught my eye - the one operated by Spartan Air Services CF-HWG. I have painted a Mosquito and Anson of theirs, so I will paint their Mallard too. Other than that I will leave all the gaudy US examples to others who have quite a few in the pipeline!

MilesMan
Lightning
Lightning

Post by MilesMan »

OK the Mallard CF-HWG is now finished and uploaded to Britsim(available now) and Flightsim.com(available tomorrow probably).

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

That's a lovely one Peter, thanks very much. :thumbsup: