Fiat G91

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

flyboypeter1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Fiat G91

Post by flyboypeter1 »

Now I know its not strictly Brit (but it was a Nato comp winner) but the G91 was one of this babyboomers 60s favourites (along with Hunters/Javelins/Vixens etc etc ) and space was made available on the bedroom ceiling for the Airfix variety.

The world of flight sims has been a bit of a desert in respect of this airframe.

After much searching, in 2014 I did manage to source a dusty Lago/Cloud 9 disc including their good FS9 version.

After a little fettling it works reasonably well in fsx with some limitations. There are a couple of freeware repaints out there which improved things.

Now suddenly on Simviation a brilliant G91Y from the very talented Massimo Altieri! Its well up there with his previous work and is certainly current payware quality (and better than a lot) which is why I venture it in this forum.

Two minors - 1) the classic sound alias to the Learjet (I dropped in an Alphajet sound folder)
- 2) Massimo must be 7ft tall - the view was an acute angle over the nose - might be my monitor. A quick tweak of the third value in the [views] section solved this.

Flies like a dream - try it and I defy you not to like it.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Fiat G91

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that matey :thumbsup: I'd seen it flagged over at SoH but have yet to try it. Something new and of that quality is always welcome. PLUS.. it's free so I'll move this to the CNB forum :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Not a bad piece of freeware.

Look though the SOH thread and there are some mods for flight dynamics, engine and afterburner effects.

As for the eyepoint, I modified mine right off.

[Views]
//eyepoint=8.0, 0.00, 1.8
eyepoint=7.25, 0.00, 1.3

Tweak as necessary.

Last time I flew it the engine temps were clear off the scale. Otherwise, a nice addition.

--WH

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

The G91 uses the Orpheus, same as the Gnat. I have done a soundset for the Gnat, if you want it I will publish a link to Sendspace.

Nev

flyboypeter1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by flyboypeter1 »

Thanks Nev - but the "yankee" had two J85s - so a soundset from a Talon or F5 might be more accurate. As I said the Alphajet soundset is nicely detailed and works for me (despite the less than accurate twin Adours).

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Very kind offer, Nev.
The topic header is a bit misleading, as the new model on Simviation is the G91Y.
Your sounds would suit an earlier G91, but apparently the "Y" was given two engines:
G.91Y
Main article: Fiat G.91Y
An additional 67 aircraft built by Aeritalia were significantly different from earlier versions. These single-seat aircraft, based on the trainer, designated G.91Y and nicknamed "Yankee", replaced the original Bristol Siddeley Orpheus engine with two General Electric J85 units in a "completely re-engineered structure" giving 60% more power and doubling range with 75% more payload. [52][53] The G.91Y first flew on 12 December 1966 and displayed an improvement in speed, range, payload, and manoeuvrability.[54] The maximum speed was increased to 1,110 km/h (690 mph, 600 kn, Mach 0.91). The machine guns were replaced by a pair of DEFA 552 30 mm cannon with 125 rounds per gun. All the aircraft built served with the Italian Air Force.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I gave her a spin, performance is a bit high compared to what the specs for the G91Y, easily got her up to 70k ft and went supersonic in a near vertical climb.

Don't think I will keep her in the hanger.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Like Joe, I think this one will be pushed out of the hangar pretty smartly.
Yes, it looks good, but the performance and stress resistance seem excessive.
OK, what would I know, never having flown a real military jet?

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Storm ILM has done a quick & dirty mod to the .cfg over at SOH, I have yet to try it though.
Keith

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Post by Harry Basset »

Please does anyone know where I might be able to buy the disc with the G91R on it? The one I had years ago had the G91, Mig 21 and an Aermacchi on it but I lost it when I thought I had it on a stick.