ELECTRA-Flying

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Avro748
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: ELECTRA-Flying

Post by Avro748 »

The best panel for the L-188 by far is Fraser's panel. Simulates everything except oil cooler flaps I think, includes switch sounds and working two-speed propeller modelling. I would recommend merging this external model with it.

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

I have to agree with Avro748 that Fraser's panel is by far the best for the Electra. While I never piloted the Electra I do have quite a few hours in the left seat of Lockheed's other four engine whisper jet, the C-130. Systems and operation are almost identical. Fraser's panel models the operation of the T56/501 engines correctly. The only other panel and acft that does so accurately is the Cal Classic CV580.

Hy

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

At the risk of sounding even more stupid than I really am; where can I download Fraser's L188 panel? I have done the usual searches and come up with nowt.

ATB

Allan

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Allan,

It definitely used to be in Frasers webspace on here, but it isn't there now, and isn't in the backup I took before we changed server (his other panels are) so I'm guessing he may have taken it down when he did the version that had the 5.2 update bundled in. *-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

The file is at flightsim.com. FML188ap.zip I had to search for Fraser's name to find it.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thank you.

Downloading as I type.

Much appreciated.

ATB

Allan

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

"IF" .... using Fraser´s L-188 panel with Libardo GUZMAN model/simulation .... then I "suspect" it´d probably be essential to swap the FDE files which accompany the GUZMAN simulation for those from the JC LUCARINY L-188 version simulation .... since I understand Fraser´s panel was designed to be used with the LUCARINY L-188 version only.

I don´t know if Fraser´s panel comes with it´s own FDE files .... BUT .... I do recall there´s usually a high degree of panel/FDE interactivity with any of Fraser´s panels, so, it may be essential to have "the right FDE version" installed, so, this panel can then work properly with the GUZMAN model .... if that´s peoples intention :)

Having suggested this .... a fair bit of CFG editing would undoutedly be necessary (due to differences between the GUZMAN and LUCARINY models) in order to ensure such a successful merging of panel/model/FDE files.

At the very least .... the LUCARINY CFG (used wit the GUZMAN simulation) would probably need being edited with the GUZMAN compiled WEIGHT & BALANCE and CONTACT POINTS (simply because the model COG positions will likely differ .... one often can´t just add one lot of files to another simulation and expect it to work), and LIGHTING data too .... but .... more editing than this might still be required in order to ensure a complete and successful merging of these files.

I´ve not tried this out myself .... yet .... but .... I "suspect" some degree of FS sugery of this nature would probably be an unavoidable and absolute necessity ;)

Mark C
BOG/CO
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

There´s also a 6th L-188 panel option available now too :)

Tom GIBSON has recently re-released his own L-188 ELECTRA base packs .... representing the L-188A and L-188C ELECTRA´s and containing the 3D models ELECTRA models by Chris BUFF, JC.LUCARINY, and Libardo GUzMAN too (separate base packs for each aircraft type and model/author version) .... each of which are also supported by customised FDE compiled by the "FS AVIATOR", as well as Tom´s version of the STROGEN (I think it is) L-188 panel, along with his own ALLISON turboprop soundpack too (which forms part of his own CV-580 package).

PLEASE NOTE .... this "new" CAL CLASSUCS compiled FDE "must be used with the panel provided by Tom GIBSON" .... since no other L-188 panel versions can work properly with this re-release due to the specific panel/gauge/FDE inter-relationships applied.

See Tom GIBSON´s "THE PLANES" downloads page .... select "L-188 ELECTRA" tab (for the L-188 base pack files) .... and then the "CV-580" tab (for the ALLISON turboprop soundpack).

I´ve not, yet, tried out this other panel version (insufficient time at the moment), but, are content to recommend it by virtue of the fact that Tom´s FS products are "GOOD" .... the other bonus being that the AIRCRAFT.CFG files contained within each of Tom´s aircraft type and model base pack versions "WILL NOT" need any editing/customizing if used with this other particular panel version offered by Tom.

Mark C
BOG/CO
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

All these Electra's.... my head just exploded :doh:
Alex

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

There´s actually more panel options available (at least 6 good ones that I´m aware of .... only 4 of which I earlier previewd here, but, not yet including Fraser McKAY and the Tom GIBSON/STOGEN panel options) than there is good L-188 simulations available for FS.... BUT .... in the case of panel options some of these simulations will require FDE editing in order to be able to accomodate "some" (not all) of the available panel options.

Tom GIBSON´s panel is probably "the easiest no fuss choice" .... simply because of it´s compatibility with the old Chris BUFF, as well as the more recently released L-188 simulations by JC LUCARINY, and LIbardo GUZMAN. What Tom offers is composed of "separate base packs" for each authors model .... each containing their necessary 3D models, as well as the panel recommended by Tom .... and which are additionally supported by preconfigured FDE for this particular panel therefore anulling the need for any FDE ediing.

Fraser´s superb panel is actually intended for use with the JC LUCARINY L-188 simulation .... for which no (major) FDE editing should be necessary.

However .... anyone intendeing to use Fraser´s panel with the latest Libardo GUZMAN released L-188 will likely need to "edit and/or" replace this simulations FDE in order to be able to accomadate this prticular panel .... or once again .... just use the panel provided by Tom GIBSON :)

I can´t recall whom authored the first 2 panels featured at the start of my presentation here (1 civil and 1 military configuration), but, I think they both come from AVSIM .... prior to the AVSIM "hack" of several years ago. I´ve not been able to relocate them since, so, these may (I don´t know for sure) have been amomg those files which couldn´t be retrieved. These 2 panels (if they can be located somewhere .... even at AVSIM) work fine with Libardo GUZMAN´s L-188 simulation.

The other/last 2 panels featured at the start of my presentation are from the "V1" and "V2" releases of the KBT P3 ORION simulation .... an which also seem to work quite well with Libardo GUZMAN´s new L-188 simulation.

Hope some here might find this information helpful ;)

Mark C
BOG/COl