ELECTRA-Flying

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

ELECTRA-Flying

Post by Mark C »

A "CHANGE" is often as good as a "REST" (or so it is said) .... so .... in-between other slowly advancing HJG (and other) FS projects I´ve lately been evaluating/messing around with Libardo GUZMAN´s L-188 ELECTRA simulation (when time and opportunity have permitted) .... "for FS2004 and FSX".

SIMVIATION.COM FILE NAME & DATA ....

FS2004 / FSX Lockheed L-188 Electra - No VC Version (Category: FS2004 > Props)
28.92Mb
FS9 / FSX Lockheed L-188 Electra - No VC Version. I decided to share my work as it is because finishing the version with VC will take a few months and I don't have time to do it by now. Includes sound: Mr. Ozawa, Mr. William Schulz, of the Cielo Company, Panel: Paul Strogen. By Libardo Guzman.

Not many simulations of the L-188 ELECTRA exist for FS and among those that do Libardo´s is "the most recent" having been released during 2015 .... but .... it also seems to be the lesser known among these representations too.

"One of" the first notable L-188 simulations was that released by Chris BUFF .... back in the FS2000 days .... and which ported over to FS2002, and FS2004, albeit with some minor display issues .... as I recall.

This version was then followed by the JC LUCARINY simulation for FS2004 and FSX .... and not long afterward by the KBT release for FSX only and which followed their earlier P3 ORION simulation for FS2004 and FSX.

Whilst both LuCARINY and KBT simulations of the L-188 ELECTRA are better known, I, personally, have always felt these FS2004 and FSX specific models (whilst they "are" very good) didn´t quite correctly capture/best represent the upper trailing edge tail shape which is unique to the silhouette of both the L-188 and P3 ORION, and tended to result in a much "too VISCOUNT-looking" tail appearance for my own satisfaction.

Therefore .... and IMHO .... the more recent L-188 ELECTRA simulation by Libardo GUZMAN seems to better/more authentically represent the overall shape of the classic L-188 turboprop airframe .... as I hope the following imagery may testify ....

AEROVIAS AEROCONDOR de COLOMBIA (early 1970´s)

AEROVIAS AEROCONDOR de COLOMBIA CARGO (late 1970´s)

TASMAN EMPIRE AIRWAYS LTD (early 1960´s) .... otherwise affectionately regarded by Australians (during the late 1950´s) as "TAKE ELECTRA´s AND LIKE IT" :D

AIR NEW ZEALAND (late 1960´s)

Libardo´s L-188 ELECTRA simulation comes with both a panel (by Paul STROGEN), and ALLISON turboprop soundpack (by Yuji OZAWA an Bill SCHUTZ .... from the FS98/FS2000 days) .... HOWEVER .... I chose to discard both of these supplied files in favour of another, yet unreleased (and I feel superior) ALLISON turboprop soundpack which I´ve been "fiddling with" for a wee while now. These big turboprop engines (which also power C-130 HERCULES, CV-580, and P3 ORION aircraft) run at a constant 100% RPM .... with power being applied per propeller pitch adjustment/s .... and have "a unique audio signature" within the aviation and one which, I feel, this other "slowly developing" soundpack better represents. Likewise and in regard to the supplied the panel too .... I´ve replaced the one which accompanies this simulation with the following 4 (better IMHO) panel options and which I´m still currently evaluating (my own preferences tend toward the first 3 of the 4 panels illustrated below) .... again as both time and opportunity permit ....

L-188/P3 TYPE CIVIL PANEL

L-188/P3 TYPE MILITARY PANEL

L-188/P3 TYPE PANEL .... KBT V1

L-188/P3 TYPE PANEL .... KBT V2

The FDE which accompanies Libardo´s L-188 simulation isn´t too bad, but, I´ve not been able to resist the temptation to want to "tweak certain parameters of it" .... here´n´there .... and with so far-so good results ;)

Not many textures currently exist for Libardo´s L-188 ELECTRA simulation .... barring the couple which accompany this SIMVIATION.COM hosted package .... along with a few other HD texture options for it roo and which have been "very recently" released (both the TEAL and AIR NEW ZEALAND versions of these new HD textures (aircraft I knew quite well) do bear a few errors among them though, but, are otherwise "VERY ACCEPTABLE") at FLIGHTSIM.COM.

Libardo GUZMAN´s L-188 ELECTRS is a "VERY NICE" simulation .... I feel .... and is further improved by the alternative audio and panel options I´ve mentioned above .... along with FDE tweaks I´ve also so far employed .... and one which I´m very happy recommending to anyone interested.

In short .... and in my own brief assessment so far too .... this simulation is "quite an ELECTRA-flying experience" ;)

Mark C
BOG/CO
Last edited by Mark C on 28 Aug 2017, 15:34, edited 5 times in total.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: ELECTRA-Flying

Post by TSR2 »

Lovely stuff Mark. As you may know the Electra was a regular at most regional airports in the UK in Air Atlantique guise until only a few years ago. Those props remind me of peat cutting spades! I'll definitely give this a go, although it would be nice to get an Air Atlantique repaint.

All the best
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

"THANKS" Ben ;)

YEAH I agree .... this particular model´s begging for AIR ATLANTIQUE representation :tunes:

I´m not sure whther or not a PSD for it is publicly available, but, I´m currently "in Colombia" (and wil be until mid November), and are hoping to once again meet with my colleague Libardo GUZMAN, so, I´ll put the hard word on him in regard to PSD availability ;)

Mark C
BOG/CO
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

As a lad I flew, and was violently air sick, in an Ansett ANA Electra from Sydney to Adelaide, via Melbourne in 1965. :)

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I've got the Lucariny model at the moment( with Atlantique livery) which I really enjoy. It's quite immersive with a good soundset. Possibly the characteristic Alison deep whine could be a little more emphasised. They were regular visitors to East Mids and could easliy be identified by their engine sounds as they flew nearby.
When my sim is up and running on the new pc I'll have a look at this one Mark.She certainly looks good. :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Paul K wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 21:52
As a lad I flew, and was violently air sick, in an Ansett ANA Electra from Sydney to Adelaide, via Melbourne in 1965. :)
Interesting that, Paul. Was it very bumpy ? The Sydney - Melbourne route was regarded as one having some of the worst weather in the world , certainly in the days before the pure jet era by which time altitude tended to cure the turbulence

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

cstorey wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 15:34
Paul K wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 21:52
Interesting that, Paul. Was it very bumpy ? The Sydney - Melbourne route was regarded as one having some of the worst weather in the world , certainly in the days before the pure jet era by which time altitude tended to cure the turbulence
Thats the first time I've ever heard about it, Chris. If I remember correctly, it was on the Melbourne - Adelaide leg, but how soon into the flight I can't remember. It must have been exceptionally bumpy because during a visit to the flight deck, I noticed the co-pilot clutching a barf-bag!

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

A few more images ....

Once again this´s libardo GUZMAN´s L-188 model .... supporting a selection of textures for it by the late FS master artist Frank GONZALEZ ....

EASTERN AIR LINES 1959

EASTERN AIR LINES 1961

KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES 1961

NORTHWEST AIRLINES 1961

I´m starting to like this thing :)

Mark C
BOC/CO

Ben Hartmann
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ben Hartmann »

This has got me all excited again! It's absolutely begging for Fred Olsen, Channel Express, Hunting Cargo Airlines, Air Bridge and Air Contractors paints. Would be great if Tony could find time to do these but if I'm needed I'd be happy to be forced out of retirement.

Older, wiser, bridges can be rebuilt and never say never.

Fantastic project Mark

Best Rgds

Ben
I was a repaint artist for UKMIL, HJG, CBFSim VA and CBFiles 2004-2012.

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

Older, wiser, bridges can be rebuilt and never say never
"GOOD ON YA" for expressing that Ben ;) .... because it´s one of the codes I´ve always lived by :)

Fred Olsen, Channel Express, Hunting Cargo Airlines, Air Bridge and Air Contractors
And the rest :D

if I'm needed I'd be happy to be forced out of retirement
Sounds like you might have just have found a new "niche" Ben ;)

Mark C
BOG/CO