Question regarding the PA28 - Archer 111

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Question regarding the PA28 - Archer 111

Post by Nigel H-J »

Bit of a silly question but just stuck regarding the ASI of the PA28 Archer 111, purchased it from Just Flight and it is a great aircraft, even managed to oil up the plugs whilst waiting for another aircraft to take off :doh:

On the ASI down to the bottom it starts to show 2 airspeed readings, can some-one tell me which of the 2 are in knots as I take it that the other one must be in MPH. So if any-one has either flown it in real life or in a sim I would be grateful for any advice.

BTW, it is also said that the normal engine settings for cruise is around the 2,450 mark, the max rpm is 2,700RPM surely one using even 2,450RPM is a bit too high long term for the engine? Just sort of curious regarding using high power for long flights as to wear and tear on the engine!! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Question regarding the PA28 - Archer 111

Post by Vc Ten »

Found this manual for the Archer, Nigel. It says the white arc is for flaps down ?? Or does that mean the bit between 85 and 102 ? Here's a copy for you.
https://www.sfcaero.com.au/wp-content/u ... er-III.pdf
Dale

Edit : Wikipedia has it. By setting the local air pressure on the gauge, true airspeed can be read from the white segment : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_indicator
Image Image Image

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Set Outside Air Temperature against Pressure Altitude (at the top) to get a reading of True Air Speed against the needle.

Only really makes a difference if it is either extremely hot/cold or you go above about 6,000'
(Based on RW PA28 flying of which I have done rather a lot)
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Edit : Wikipedia has it. By setting the local air pressure on the gauge, true airspeed can be read from the white segment : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_indicator

Dale, that is brilliant thank you very much, will read it this afternoon. :thumbsup:
Set Outside Air Temperature against Pressure Altitude (at the top) to get a reading of True Air Speed against the needle.

Only really makes a difference if it is either extremely hot/cold or you go above about 6,000'
(Based on RW PA28 flying of which I have done rather a lot)
Many thanks Adrian, in fact I have only been up to 2,000ft in VFR conditions as using virtual reality it is a shame to miss out on the country-side especially around Wales and Scotland.

If I may ask, what RPM settings do you use for normal cruising? I have only had this aircraft for 2 days now but is one of the best single engine aircraft I have flown in flight simulator apart from the Tiger Moth for real as well as flight simulator. After flying this Archer I would love to fly in one but that will have to wait for quite a bit unfortunately.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Regards
Nigel.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Nigel : it is over 30 years since I flew a Cherokee of any type , but from recollection some of them had an rpm range which it was important to avoid in the cruise to avoid resonance and possible crankshaft fracture - the range is only very vaguely remembered but was something like 2250 - 2350 rpm . This probably explains the 2450 rpm recommendation

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I flew a PA28 in 2003 and that rpm rings a bell too.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nigel : it is over 30 years since I flew a Cherokee of any type , but from recollection some of them had an rpm range which it was important to avoid in the cruise to avoid resonance and possible crankshaft fracture - the range is only very vaguely remembered but was something like 2250 - 2350 rpm . This probably explains the 2450 rpm recommendation
I flew a PA28 in 2003 and that rpm rings a bell too.

That's brilliant chaps, many thanks and I now have a very embarrassed look about me!! :$

Found the bleedin' manual, for the ASI:

3. Airspeed indicator (ASI) – a true airspeed indicator is incorporated into the airspeed indicator. The true
airspeed indicator consists of a rotatable ring which is controlled with the knob below the ASI. To set the
indicator, rotate the ring until the pressure altitude is aligned with the outside air temperature (OAT). To obtain
the pressure altitude, set the barometric scale of the altimeter to 29.92 inHg / 1013.2 hPa and then read the
pressure altitude. With the ring set, the true airspeed can be read along the bottom scale.

Sounds a bit confusing to my brain or is it just my age!! *-)

Here is the engine settings for cruising speed:

As the aircraft levels out and begins to accelerate, reduce the throttle to obtain approximately 2,400 RPM. This is
a typical cruise power setting

If only I found this little lot first it would have saved you time to enjoy much better things!! :$ :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Nigel , think you have most of the info for the TAS indicator .. Never used one as all we're really interested in is IAS. TAS calculated on Whizz wheel for navigation.
The white arc up to a max of 103 kts is allowable flap range .
The Pa 28-161s of the AbbasAir school have 160hp Lycoming O-320s. We operate them at a datum of 2300 rpm giving approx 95 kts IAS.
Leaning can be done at any altitude , once at 2300/95 , pull back to max rpm , them forward a bit . Not really technical , but practical enough for this old Naarfick tractor driver with wings .
Last summer was the first time in the UK I'd ever leaned back for take off . Density altitude of approx 3000' .

rgds dave f.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Nigel , think you have most of the info for the TAS indicator .. Never used one as all we're really interested in is IAS. TAS calculated on Whizz wheel for navigation.
The white arc up to a max of 103 kts is allowable flap range .
The Pa 28-161s of the AbbasAir school have 160hp Lycoming O-320s. We operate them at a datum of 2300 rpm giving approx 95 kts IAS.
Leaning can be done at any altitude , once at 2300/95 , pull back to max rpm , them forward a bit . Not really technical , but practical enough for this old Naarfick tractor driver with wings .
Last summer was the first time in the UK I'd ever leaned back for take off . Density altitude of approx 3000' .

rgds dave f.
I can vouch for Dave's knowledge on this. He taught me tail dragger flying (not easy) and I will be using his instructor services from August to get my renewal............. on the PA28. :thumbsup:

Nev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Dave, thanks very much for your reply, I cannot see me using the whizz wheel at all in flight simulation as I don't bother with real world weather in X-Plane 11 as it always gives 10 mile vis which is no use at all. All I am concerned with is actual air speed but that really depends on engine settings as well.

Have to admit I was a bit surprised to find that I had fouled the spark plugs due to waiting at idle for about 5 minutes whilst another aircraft was taxiing all over the runway before taking-off, can that actually happen with the actual aircraft?

I now have the Orbx Compton Abbas and just wondering how tricky it can be for landing on 08 in windy conditions Dave.
I can vouch for Dave's knowledge on this. He taught me tail dragger flying (not easy) and I will be using his instructor services from August to get my renewal............. on the PA28. :thumbsup:
Hi Nev, the first aircraft I actually landed was the Auster and really did not find it that hard, guess it would have been different if I started on tricycle gear then gone onto tail draggers, I had flown 10 hours on the Auster back in the early 70's and Al Cree who owned the Auster used to let me have it for £5 for a 30 minute touch and go exercise and even though I had flown (hands on) with the Cessna 172 and Beagle Pup, I never had control for the landings as was flying with a different pilot who was rear crew on the Vulcans and an instructor at our gliding club. The one problem with a tail dragger I found is the wind, a gusty day saw me landing with first stage flaps and a bit of a cross wind to match, that was really interesting!! :wasntme:

Really envy you Nev and good luck with the renewal on the PA28. Let us know when you have done it :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all the information.

Regards
Nigel.