Viking in new client

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Viking in new client

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that Richard ;-) The Viking has always been notoriously fickle for some when starting but this has been something different!

Glad you were able to complete the flight ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

On my way back North now with a slight (!) diversion to Mombassa but the aircraft % really seems to have dropped massivley with the new client, it is at 96.7% and i am afraid if i fly the flight i have booked even with a good landing it will move below 96%.

Seems like we are back to the bad old days with loads of bugs with the client and changing things which don't need to be changed.

Richard
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate..

Yes.. I've just noticed this and you don't need to divert for it to happen. I've already posted a question over on FSA so let's see what comes of it ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Damn it, i went and did the flight expecting a .3% drop as I had a good flight with a gentle landing but got a huge 1.1% drop :@ :@ leaving her in the middle of Nowhere needing a big service at 95.6%. Sorry about that guys but i think i will wait until we see all these pointless bugs fixed before flying again.

BTW the engine problem does appear to be altitude based, started up at Mombassa at about Sea level and it was fine wheras higher up they failed to keep running, haven't tried without the client though.

Richard
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Richard :)

Tks for staying with it!! :thumbsup:

I dunno WTF is going on with aircraft attrition now. On the 1-11 with a gentle landing, you lose .3% on each flight. I modded the Tri2 so it can be used on FSA (for now) and found you lose .4% per flight on that!! :@ I posted a reasonably major rant over there last night to let them know of our disappointment ;-)

Don't worry about the airframe life. Under the circumstances, we've all been dropped in it. Would you like me to put it into maint now or are you willing to continue.. with the additional risk of FSA induced failures?? Thing is, some have put aircraft into maint prior to the changeover and these haven't returned yet :o I'd hate to throw it into maint and leave you stranded :'(

ATB

ImageImage

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Its a difficult one Dave, part of me says push on but if i get a failure there are not many places to divert to. But it is also not the most wonderful place to get stuck in so I think I might push on one more stop to Karthoum at least.

Even if I did get back to Cyprus i'll have to jump into a T3 anyway with all the problems that that is also giving.

Richard
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Richard..

OK mate.. go as far as you can and be damned with the maint cost. The least we can do is assure you get back ;-) I'll keep an eye on your FSA sig and when I see a T3 booked, I'll throw the old Viking into maint :thumbsup: This will be something of a unique opportunity for us to see what can happen when an airframe is pushed to the limit. I only hope it doesn't drop you in the brown stuff :o

Back on the very old server (not the last FlyNET but back much further) I have had an engine out on the Viking (FlyNET induced and the airframe wasn't bad either) and got down ok. The Viking will happily fly on one engine all day but the problem comes when you try and move on the ground after you've landed.. probably similar to any heavy twin. The other thing that could happen is a main gear failure. Some aircraft models will gladly accept manual gear commands (it's either shift+g or ctrl+g) to pump the gear down. The one aircraft I've had this happen in is the Viscount and you can ctrl+g all day and nowt will happen due to the age of the model. I'll try and see if I can get the gear to come down manually on the Viking but if it won't.. the only thing to do is bugout of the flight. With crash detect on (and it should be off).. you crash and thats the end of the airframe and a huge blot on the VA! If you try to land gear up with crash detect off.. you may end up in a skidding, bouncing, crashing state forever.. something that I know one pilot has experienced. Damned if you do.. damned if you don't so bugout is the only option.

Hang in there mate and good luck to you. I'll try the manual gear commands in a few mins and let you know how I get on ;-)

EDIT..
BUM!! I can't get it to operate manually on anything I've tried. Maybe the failure has to be induced before it'll work.. I honestly don't know. Best plan of action (though painful due to the time lost) would be to try it a few times and if nowt happens.. bugout ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Ok Dave thanks for the tips i will see how far I can get in her, one thing i don't want is a gear failure after a 3hr flight but we'll see what happens. I believe it is the engines taking the hit however before my last flight gear and aiframe were 98%+ whilst the engines were at 90%.

Oh and as most of the rest of my flight home fairly closely follows the Nile perhaps i wont die of thirst if i come down in the middle of the desert :lol:

Give me a few minutes, If i can get onto the FS airlines site and i will see what the staus is for the aircraft.

EDIT: Ok the client has the Engine at 86.30 Gear at 98.21 and Hull at 98.77 so if anything fails i expect it will be an engine.

Richard
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Richard :)

Tks for that :thumbsup: Fingers crossed nowt happens but if it does, it's an engine failure. With one prop feathered, the Viking actually looks kinda cool btw.. not that you really need to know that :lol:

From what I'm reading at FSA.. there is a problem with engine attrition calculations (as if we didn't realise that already!) and the more engines you have, the problem is compounded with unequal engine wear :roll: I really hope they get to the bottom of it soon :doho:

ATB

ImageImage

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Well arrived back at Cyprus without mishap, :welldone: almost disappointing really, but never mind. You can put PB into maintenance now, she certainly needs it, or her engines anyway, she ended up on 93.1. Later on i will see if i can use the trident in the new client with APU operational.

Richard
ImageImage