Improved detection for landing light penalty

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Improved detection for landing light penalty

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Guys,

I've just got my head around how the newer versions of the client reads your altitude for determining a landing light penalty. The penalty criteria haven't changed, but improvements have been made to avoid a penalty in certain circumstances. In previous version of the client you would get a landing light penalty if your aircraft 'jumped' whilst on the ground due to scenery conflicts and there was always a problem when operating into high elevation airfields where the FL100 (10,000ft standard alt setting) rule clashed with the 1000ft AGL rule. This improved 'detection' should avoid those two previous problem areas.

1. To address the aircraft 'jumping' issue.

On departure the client will not log you as airborne until achieving 50ft AGL altitude.

2. To allow operation into high elevation airfileds.

When your altitiude AGL is below 3000ft AGL the penalty detection for lights on above FL100 is ignored/switched off. For example, if landing at an airport with an elevation of 10,000ft, once you get below 3000ft AGL you will be able to turn on your landing lights even though you are still above FL100. In theory his will give you a 2000ft window of opportunity to turn your lights on before descending to below 1000ft AGL. You still have to be aware of the terrain profile around the airport in case a deep valley suddenly increases your altitude AGL to above 3000ft.

The actual rules themselves have not changed. You must have your lights on when below 1000ft AGL and you must have your lights off above FL100. In previous versions of the client there was generous leeway regards the FL100 rule. I don't know the exact figure now, but it has been reduced to about 300ft .

Regards

John

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Improved detection for landing light penalty

Post by DaveB »

Hiya John :)

For my part.. the client hasn't been registering me as airbourne until 50ft agl anyway as far as I can tell. Nice that there's a 3000ft agl leaway. On those far off places in Europe where the Viking struggles to gain alt.. the LL 'panic' won't be quite so immediate now ;-) That said.. I don't think the mountain in question is higher than FL100 so 'panic status' resumed! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Improved detection for landing light penalty

Post by Chris Trott »

I'm hoping this change in the Landing Light code will fix the issue once and for all. It means when flying in the Rockies, I can typically turn on my landing lights once in the approach phase (the approaches typically only give about 2000' AGL clearance from obstacles anyway, but some get right at 1000' AGL) and I won't get dinged at El Alto again no matter what I do (I got dinged for both on and off within moments of each other while landing, it was odd).

It should also make things easier in the mountains since you don't have to wait until right at 1000' AGL but can now turn them on as long as you stay within 3000' of the terrain.