Speed Penalty

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Speed Penalty

Post by simondix »

I had to abort my flight today because I got a speed penalty at 10500' for doing over 250KIAS. On my instruments and on the red figures on the top of the screen I was shown at 245 KIAS. iIs there anything apart from keeping the speed lower to avoid this.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Re: Speed Penalty

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Simon,

Hard to say what happened there as there is a little bit of leeway speed-wise by a couple of kts and 100ft I think for the altitude. The client does seem to lag a bit behind sometimes but it may just be a display thing on my PC. I always shutdown the client completely between flights and it seems a bit more responsive. Were you in the climb or the descent? In the descent I make sure I'm at or below 240kts before I get to 11,000ft and likewise in the climb I wait until I am well clear of 10,000ft before increasing speed. Also remember the client is reading altitude at std pressure setting and if you have a very high or very low pressure setting you have to take that into account. I mostly fly FS9 for FSAirlines so I have access to FSNav. I have the client on a second monitor underneath my FSNav and do the occasional F9 to ensure the client is behaving. Its also handy for seeing the height and speed readouts that the client is using as well as confirming the client is reading fuel correctly and the landing light status is as I think it is. Rick's Argosy has caught me out a couple of times with the landing lights.

Best to fly a bit slower I think especialy if you transition an area of windsheer although FSUIPC can smooth those out if you have a registered version.

Regards

John

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi John..

Concur 100% with that. In the climb, the fastest I go is 240kias until at least 10200 and even now.. after nearly 2500 flights.. I still hold my breath for a second or two as 250+ is reached. In the descent.. I'm usually at 240kias by around 12000ft.
Odd to get pulled at 10500 at ISA/1013mb.. which you'd expect to be at at that altitude *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

It may be explained by the client working on US transition altitude climbing/level descending which is usually 18000 feet QNH climbing /FL180 on 1013.2 or as the US has it 29.92 descending. The much lower, and varied, transitions in Europe may well be ignored by the client (I'm only guessing as i've never done a virtual airline flight)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's a valid RW point Chris but for the sake of VA flying, doesn't apply here.. thank goodness :D Our VA software developers are European so a basic FL100 rule is applied to cater for all ;) I've not had a chance to look at Simon's flight (though I'm sure John already has) but it's still odd to get pinged for an overspeed at 105 *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Benedettini
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Benedettini »

I lower my speed to 230...this is more guarantee :D
Rust and dust, is a must...

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

So true Gokalp.. safety first :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage