FlyNET/FSA induced failures - REPORT THEM HERE

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Re: FlyNET/FSA induced failures - REPORT THEM HERE

Post by Tarasdad »

Two failures trying the EGPD-EGPB TR flight in FSX. First was starboard engine shutdown (no relight), second port engine fire. Neither displayed any FSA/Flynet banner message. Since I just finished reinstalling FSX after a major corruption I aborted both flights, as I can't be 100% sure FSX is functioning properly yet. Same flight in FS9 was accomplished without incident

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Barry..

If you have the FSA text enabled, you would have seen a message along the top of your screen had FSA been responsible. Just to make sure your FSX is where you want it to be, try the flight again offline. Remember.. don't gun the engines on the 748 (14200max continuous) and make sure you have deicing on if the temp is anywhere the other side of zero ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

I'll be doing the final TR flight tonight. See what happens with FSX. Need to double check and make sure all failures are off in FSX settings so that only FSA can impact it.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

OK Barry.. if all goes well, give me a shout either here or at FSA and I'll update your rating on completion ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

An odd one this morning.. LHR to Malaga in T3 'ZO' with 97.6% maint life. When established on finals, main gear wouldn't come down. Sim paused.. stick unplugged then replugged.. ding dong.. dong ding.. still nada. With 'ignore crash' enabled to stop running into invisible things in FS, the only thing to do was bugout of the flight. I did a cct of Malaga trying to free the darned things but they wouldn't drop. With crash detect off, I'd have still been crashing now.. such is the way FS9 works. Flight subsequently cancelled and as a precaution, ZO put into maint.
This on the old client btw ;)

Tks FSA.. another 2hrs wasted :rant:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Need a foam carpet n fire tenders, lots o blue flashing lights and warm applause from the passengers afterwards...........if you get it right!!!!

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Yes indeed. Not sure they have that sort of facility at Malaga though *-) Just reflown the flight in 'ZA' and held my breath as I hit the gear lever. I'm pleased to report 3 greens ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Hey Dave, as landing gear malfunctions are simulated, I find it to be discouraging for you to "game" the system by reflying the flight and then blame the client for doing what it's supposed to. Did you not try to manually extend the landing gear? I believe even with the panel it's still possible and the sim doesn't prevent manual extension of the landing gear. I really do hope that people will be willing to occasionally have a problem. For all the flights CBFS has done, to have a single (or even a few) incidences isn't something that I'd be too worried about.

We are hoping that Konrad will be getting the new damage model in place soon though, so hopefully we'll be in better position for these things to be minor events rather than "big deals" in the future since there will be the ability for you to have varying levels of incident instead of nothing to full blown major incident/accident.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I did a cct of Malaga trying to free the darned things but they wouldn't drop.
I guess you missed that Chris ;)

The point is with a main gear failure.. you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Our advice to new pilots is to ensure 'crash detect' is turned off as it's too easy to either hit one of the 'invisible' obstructions built into FS9 or park 25ft away from a terminal and get a 'building crash'. A downside of 'crash detect' off is that if you DO crash.. the crash continues on and on.. and on.. and on.. sometimes going on for miles and other times pitching the aircraft 200ft into the air. If you put 'crash detect' on.. you can certainly crash with dignity but suffer encountering one of the many 'invisible' objects.. building crashes or even falling down a hole in a scenery mismatch (I don't mean a big hole.. just one big enough to cause other problems).
I've been vehemently against main gear failure from the word go as neither FS or FSA can reproduce what might be considered, your average gear failure. Rarely do aircraft suffer a complete failure.. that is, neither nose or both mains coming down.. it tends to be ONE that get's stuck. I'd be happy to do a nose gear failure or one main but FS can't do this SO WHY IS IT THERE?? 8)
I'd have happily put the T3 down on it's belly at Malaga today but to what end?? With 'crash detect' off.. I'd still be crashing now killing me, the FD crew and the passengers (possibly) because of how FS9 works or.. with crash detect on, unless you run the same route day in day out, you run the risk of the sims other pitfalls. It is also worth noting that many (perhaps most) of the aircraft we fly will not manually release the main gear so if FSA forces an induced failure.. there is no option to manually either 'free fall' it as is possible with the real Vanguard or pump it down as is possible with the real Britannia.

Engine outs.. flap failures.. overspeeds.. lights (to some degree but not 100%).. yup.. with you 100% but gear failure sucks. You're dammed if you leave it on and you're dammed if you turn it off. Not a good choice for any pilot is it :| You can see from my sig just how many hours I've put into FSA flying and all of them at x1. This doesn't mean I like FSA's 'sometimes' ridiculous and unrealistic rules.. just that I tolerate them and try to avoid them the best way I can. I had a pilot the other day complain he'd been done for 'inflight refuelling' and all he'd done was parked at a gate as instructed by ATC which just happened to be too close to a refuelling point in FS. No.. there are still many things not right with FSA but being good citizens and pilots willing to tow the party line.. we quietly accept them.. but for the odd word of descent ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Agree with you wholeheartedly Dave.

Sometimes FSA is annoying to say the least but it's all we've got. If I get pinged, I take my lumps and get on with it, RW pilots aren't perfect can't quit the flight and start again.

The other day I did a T3 trip, and once visual with the RWY, disconnected the AP and flew a manual approach but left the autothrottle engaged. Touched down fine but then couldn't slow the bl**dy thing down so went around from on the runway, sorted the problem out, flew a visual circuit and landed, this time without a problem. Thing is, halfway round the circuit, I got pinged for taxi overspeed!!!

OK, this isn't exactly the point Dave's making. Total gear failure is nigh on impossible unless you have total hydraulic failure (or whichever system operates the gear on a particular aircraft), and even then there's usually some back up or freefall or wind down. It's usually the failure of a component on a single leg that then gets hooked up in the bay.

Anyway, I'm at work so more later...............

Nige

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."