How to autoupdate "manually"

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

How to autoupdate "manually"

Post by DanKH »

I'll briefly describe here how to use the autoupdate,exe to update the FlyNET client....stay put.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

OK this worked for me:

Search for the file autoupdate.exe it should reside in the same directory as the flyNET client together with 3 other files:

flynet_setup.stp
libmysql.dll
log.out

Open up a command prompt, and switch to the drive where these files reside.

Using your mouse: drag the autoupdate.exe into the command prompt window and hit ENTER.

If you have Windows firewall enabled you might receive a warning, press unblock and there you go, the program will open a ftp connection to the FlyNET site, download the update and give you the choice of starting the client or simply exit form the command window.

It seems as though the program has to be run with security restrictions applied, or is dependant of either .NET FW 1.1 or 2.0 (I have both installed) It works on my machine but didn't on John's this evening, we'll give it a try again tomorrow (He got "The system cannot execute the specified program")
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dan,

That's great but.. its not what I would call 'Autoupdate' :roll: The end result is a new exe file and to be brutally honest, downloading and overwriting is a damned site easier :wink:

Nice to know it can be done though :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Yes, this is certainly not auto update, although I'm always impressed with the level of knowledge that resides on these forum. I would have no clew where to start regarding forcing a broken auto update to work.

I downloaded the .exe, opened the flynet folder, dragged it in, said yes to overwrite and made a new shortcut and this all happened in under 30 seconds. I was confirming it's validity within one minute.

Ivan...................................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

DaveB wrote:Hi Dan,

That's great but.. its not what I would call 'Autoupdate' :roll: The end result is a new exe file and to be brutally honest, downloading and overwriting is a damned site easier :wink:

Nice to know it can be done though :wink:

ATB

You are absolutely right, but next time you are asked to update and the new version hasn't been published yet on the FN-forum, you will have a workaround.

I posted more or less the same thing "over There" so the developers could have a clue on where to start fixing....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That makes sense Dan :wink:

Seems poor the whole shebang wasn't tested prior to us getting it though :roll:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Sorry Dan, I misunderstood.. That's great as it will, as you point out, allow for "Future" auto updates in case they don't work it out by the time the next one is published.

Thanks, good work..

Ivan...............................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!