HU Another New client version!

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

HU Another New client version!

Post by hobby »

Got caught out this evening!

All set up at 8:35pm this evening to fly a flight booked just before 6pm today only to discover FlyNETv6.2 now invalid!

By the time I had shut down FS9, ASv6.5 and RC4.2 and manually uploaded and checked validity of v6.3 it was too late for me to fly my pre-booked flight tonight. My time for FS is limited tomorrow.

I have already written to Quantum by pm on this and suggested that any future updates be made by FlyNET only once a week at a fixed time on a fixed day. That should mean we only have to check for an update once a week and at no other time. I see that as advantageous to us all.

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Yes. That's a fine idea. I've been trying to book a flight since last night at around 2:oo A.M. and have not been able to do so. I have the latest Client and can navigate through the Flynet site but I can not get the 'Book Flight' list to come up. I'm afraid I'm done trying for a while. I want badly for my flying time to count for the VA but, I can't spend a whole day trying to book a flight.

It's a great Idea and a great program but it is growing way faster than they can keep up with. It seems rather sudden. I don't know if it's a bandwidth problem or what but they need to fix it. I understand that they doing this for free and I would be willing to donate to them [as I will be to the designers of these great planes coming up} but they need to have a product that works better.

Sorry if I seem frustrated but I've allowed an entire night and most of a day to be consumed by simply trying to book a flight.

Ivan...........................................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's

Your frustration is understood and I'm sure that John will pass it on to Konny.

Fortunately, on this occassion.. I caught the update by accident. I'd not got a flight booked and clicked on FlyNET by accident but I fully understand the last thing you need to see when you've set your flight up ready to go is 'A Newer Version is Available'. This time at least, it was readily available on the front page with no need to go trawling through the forum. Under the circumstances, you need not have lost your flight Hobby.. simply downloaded the new version and overwrote the old files. A pain but in reality, no more than a couple of minutes.

I was going to ask John if Konny had squeezed any more bandwidth out of the system as I've had no problem getting a flight booked for the last two days. It seems not Ivan as you've had problems :sad:

Will see what John has to say :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Hu new client version

Post by hobby »

Hi Dave

Yes I did overwrite but ran out of real time this evening to complete my flight which made it pointless to start. I chose instead to write a pm to Quantum on this subject prior to posting my 'beef' here.

Have any of you checked FlyNET's "pilot list" there do seem to be an awful lot of pilots called 'Cheap car insurance' or cheap car hire' or some other such apparent commercial activity! Seems odd to me.

CBF VA Can't keep going like this, we shall just discourage or lose pilots when we should be expanding our aircrew!!

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Yes, and I don't want you guy's to get the wrong Idea from my post. I will of course continue my effort to get on line to fly but I think Konny and Company need to address the problem soon because it could make the difference in whether or not the growth continues. ie. it's for their benefit also..

It looks to me like it's taken off more quickly than they thought it might :wink: ,, In the end,, not a bad "problem" to have..

I've wondered ,, what is the long term goal of Flynet? Do they hope to charge a small fee? Look for underwriting ? When will "Beta" be over and a "finished" product be presented? All just food for thought and general questions..

Happy Flying :wink:

Ivan..........................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Guys,

After the last two releases by FlyNET and the way it was managed/communicated I suggested that they kept the FlyNET frontage updated with the latest link as well as the link in the 'News' forum of FlyNET. This has been taken onboard and the update links are both to the latest version. Updating the client should take no longer than 5 minutes as a worse case scenario so should not delay any pilot's departure more than that time. Frustrating I know but not a long delay. Regarding timing of updates, there will never be a 'good' time that suits everyone. Sometimes, as in this case, changing to a new client version to fix a major bug warrants immediate release. Part of the problem with booking a flight may be a combination of factors specific to CBFS VA and the way the website deals with bookings. I have suggested previously that a pilot chooses what aircraft type he wishes to fly before it loads all available flights to narrow the choice and make the database 'fetch' smaller/quicker. I will request this again.

Rgds

John

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Hi John,

Yes, for what it's worth, I've been able to update quickly and this hasn't been a problem. Just in with the new .exe and away we go :wink: ..

The idea's you put forward are great and would be very helpful indeed. Thanks for all the work you're doing. CBFS is a Class act all the way.

I still can't get over the HS-748. Good god man, what a great bunch of Aircraft we have to fly eh'?

Ivan......................

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks for that John :wink:

The wrong idea was certainly not got from my point of view Ivan as I really do appreciate your predicament.. as I do with Hobby's too as I've been in the same situation many times myself. :wink:

Perhaps being able to select the aircraft first to narrow the choice would ease the current situation but undoubtedly (given the systems growth in the past couple of weeks) this would only work as a temporary measure. Worth looking into though :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!