Just had to get it off my chest ...

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Just had to get it off my chest ...

Post by DanKH »

Just a small rant, maybe of no use, but here it is:

The latest episode of the FlyNET-soap has somewhat developed a virtual fear of flying... a lot of people that uses FlyNET tend to be more or less worried over various things as autoupdate that doesn't work, loss of aeroplane value, none or too much devaluation of tear of the aeroplane. fleets that gets robbed of planes...etc. etc....

I certainly hope that they will get on to it soon. It sure devalues the fun of flying VA. It was supposed to be a thing of joy and that little extra that FS might need, but the way things has turned lately, people are instead getting irritated, annoyed or even anxious. Certainly not the best way to hold on to your users....

By the amount of users connected to the system I do not think it is fair to keep hiding under the BETA tag.... Either go the whole way and try to REALLY solve the problems, or watch users leave.....

Rant over...you can state your own opinions.....or not.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dan,

Let me and the managers worry about the aircraft values etc. As long as you have a working client then carry on flying as much as you like. I'm not sure what is happening with regarding the programming bugs and to what extent DK has had a hand in previous clients but I do admit to raising an eyebrow to the current problems the updates have caused. Other people are still persistantly trying to fly with payware aircraft that have known issues and wonder why they are having serious problems. We have the benefit of excellent freeware aircraft which seem to soldier on regardless.

Keep flying unless you hear otherwise.

Rgds

John

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Ok, then, I'll keep my nose out from now on :-#

:smile:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dan,

Wasn't a dig or anything, push your nose in where you wish. I just don't want folk to fret about things. As long as you're flying then that's the main thing.

Rgds

John

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

RAF_Quantum wrote:push your nose in where you wish
Strange pictures appear before my inner eye ..... :lol:

Don't worry I didn't take offence, I usually don't. Mind you if I think something should be said I say it :lol:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... ut-it.html

Must get some nm's behind me soon again.....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Dan, I understand your frustration. It is frustrating to have these bugs pop up after a period of relatively trouble-free updates. Whether or not you like it, FlyNET is still in BETA and we are still trying to add features to the program and not all of the feature additions will go great. Konny was a bit more methodical in his releases so you guys saw less problems especially since most were website issues and not client issues, but now with DK back, we're getting more client updates and so the issues crop up more visibly. As you have seen DK is trying hard to fix the problems as quickly as possible and get them patched so people aren't flying for a week on a buggy release that makes them fly the flight multiple times. The database-side issues (aircraft value, MX state, etc) can be solved pretty easily without anyone even noticing unless Konny says something, but the client crashes and misreporting of information needs to be fixed fast (and sometimes dirty) to limit the disruption.

I think the problem is that you're not used to this kind of disruption because CBFS joined up FlyNET after the last major round of new features had ended and everyone involved had voted (we had well over 100 votes placed on the poll) to stop major feature implimentation for about 3-6 months and allow things to "calm-down" and try to keep things fairly stable to test the long-term stability of the network. We're starting to run into some of those problems as FlyNET becomes more popular (bandwidth related) and so now it's time to start fixing them and introducing the next round of features that have been on the "to do" list for a while. If that's going to ruin your experience, then I don't think there's much that Konny, DK, or anyone else involved with the project can do but say "sorry, but this is still a Beta and these things will occur."

What we have here is a lot better than some of the Beta releases of FSX and Vista are/were, so considering that this is a freeware project and they've turned down ALL offers for donations and the biggest problems we have take 10 minutes to fix in the database and a couple of days worth of programming, I think we're pretty fortunate.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I have to say guys... Konny, and the others are doing this for free. It must be costing him a packet to run his webserver with the sort of use its getting at the minute... trust me I know how much these things cost.

Firstly... In the words of my esteemed CBFS colleague... "ITS NOT REAL"... honestly.. It really isn't... its fun.

Secondly, like all of our developers, painters, researchers, they are doing flynet for free... and at great personal expense, and they have real lives too. If you’re having a bad week in real life, a sodding website may be the last of your worries.

Its very easy to get wrapped up in flynet... or cbfs... or FS but to be honest, it really isn’t the end of the world if it cocks up every so often, and I think Konny and the team do a great job given the increase in use they have had lately. Very difficult to keep it together like that when your server is getting hammered and YOU are being stung for bandwidth costs with no way of funding it....

lets keep it real guys.
:smile:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

OK, I'll hold my opinions for my self :smile:

And don't worry Chris, I would never think about leaving either CBFS OR FlyNET. Unless I was kicked out.. :roll:

I both admire and have the greatest respect for all those dedicated people that convert their free-time to our fun-time. Hats off.

I'm sorry that my criticism was taken badly up. But I'm very sure that neither Konny NOR DaKurt has done it, as I have been in PM-contact with them both and they don't take my comments badly up.

End of case from me.
Last edited by DanKH on 04 Dec 2006, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Dan, don't take my comments wrong. I don't take your comments negatively. I'm just explaining that what CBFS has been experiencing up until the last couple of weeks has been the exception rather than the norm and that the "beta" title is still deserved although the recent history has seemed otherwise. I'm sure that once the feature set is fully implimented and everyone is happy with where the system is at, Konny will pull it off "beta" and into full public release. Mainly what it needs now is just the financials system fleshed out and the fuel system fixed and we'll be pretty close to a "V1.0" in the minds of most of those who've been on the system since before the development slow-down over the past 6 months.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Guys... just so you know... I wasn't having a go, just trying to bring some sanity to something we all really enjoy. I guess I was just trying to manage expectations a little.

I've been in contact with the guys at Flynet to try and provide some assistance, so watch this space......
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage