Client 6.5b and refuel 'workaround'

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Client 6.5b and refuel 'workaround'

Post by RAF_Quantum »

EDIT : Client programme has been rolled back to 6.4b so OPERATION NORMAL again

Rgds

John
Last edited by RAF_Quantum on 14 Dec 2006, 10:18, edited 5 times in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

John..

Why the hell has this been tampered with again :think: Were they fed up because this one worked for a week??? I presumed, and wrongly so, that the original idea was to leave the client alone for a period to regain a little stability and now we find we're having at least one a week. This is not only pi$$ing ME off but other VA pilots too mate. Hobby has just tried two attempts at making a flight and both have ended badly towit he now fears being fined again (through no fault of his own) as he no longer has time to complete the flight.

This day started so well too...

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dave,

I think they were trying to fix problems refuelling payware aircraft that refuel through the payware aircraft fuel management system or something.

http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewt ... =9236#9236

It looks like the:-

'Standard Refuel' that we are used to is now broken as it drains the tanks dry. I've checked on my system with a Merchantman at EGLL and has exact same results as James.

'Detailed Refuel' is greyed out in my client window so that looks broken too.

'Compare Refuel' : This looks like it is working, so we'll have to go with this until they fix the broken client that wasn't broken before.

TEMPORARY REFUELLING PROCEDURE :-

OK Guys, until they sort this problem out this is what you'll have to do. Make a note of the fuel that was on your aircraft after it's last flight.If you want the same amount or more then put the fuel in your tanks ready and then you can PAUSE YOUR GAME. This will stop you burning off any fuel unnecessarily until you are ready for departure. You can pause the game to stop under these circumstances as YOU are in control of the refuelling.

Start the Client as normal, select 'Compare Fuel' and you are all set. UNPAUSE your game when you are ready to go.

If you select a lesser amount of fuel than was remaining in the tanks then that is the equivalent of a fuel dump and you've lost it for good.

Rgds

John

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Well i was planning to do my first flight for a few days tonight, but after this latest update of the client i think i will wait until it is sorted to ensure i don't have any problems, shame though as after friday my fs computer wont have internet connection for about a month. Why break something that doesn't need fixing?

Richard
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks John,

Please pass on to DaKurt that he's a pr@t will you (or Konny for letting him do it). Once more, we are in a situation where a release is made that hasn't been tested on at least ONE other pc than DaKurt's and so.. the community suffers again until the next fix.

I appreciate the payware guys feel miffed that their aircraft have 'specific' fuelling systems but surely, the point is that's a chance you take. If we paid to be part of FlyNET, then ok but we don't. Therefore.. you take your chance with payware. It's good that FlyNET are trying to address the issues with payware but I'm getting to a point where I agree with Dan that this BETA tag we all live under is not only disrupting the 'Majority' but giving DaKurt carte blanche to throw at us whatever he see's fit with a jolly.. 'Send your snags to Konny' suffix. I'm running out of smiles mate and I know of others that are too!

If they're going to continue to prat around with the client.. perhaps they should look at having a dual system.. a client for payware and one for the rest of us.

Anyone know of a decent client where we don't have to continually suffer this rubbish??

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The "leave it and see if it's stable" portion of testing is over. I agree that DK is kinda doing his own thing and letting everyone figure out that he is too quick on the trigger to release updates, but the fuel issue was something that was high on the "to be fixed" list. The "Compare Fuel" issue was dropped for the reason that there were a lot of problems with doing it and the "Standard Fuel/Detailed Fuel" was the best way to go with it. I think Konny really needs to rein-in DK and get him under control before he looses the whole community. It wasn't this bad when Konny was the only one. There were occasional hiccups but he fixed them quickly and they were never this bad where they killed the whole client for days at a time.

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Hi all, I was going to fly tonight but, I'll wait a day to see what happens just in case. The up side is, I'll do some Air work in the Comet :wink: .. Maybe I'll stabilize an approach that doesn't look embarrassing :think: :lol:

Anyway, I have a general question regarding the procedure or procedures required to properly 'launch' a client update. As I know nothing about programing I thought maybe you guy's could help me understand. So then....

One decides that doing XY&Z to the program is a fine idea. He/She then gets busy writing code, they finish what they think will work, referring I assume to what they put on paper in some way. Now, while they have a good idea about what they've just done, they don't know FOR SURE it will work until they try it. Right? Do the programmers have a 'Test System' in which they can run the client? {ie. Flynet running on a separate system?}. Can they not, through testing at least in part, decide whether or not it will 'Fly'?.. I'm sure they can not test for every Aircraft or every hardware config' but I would certainly think that they could prevent this sort of "global melt down"?

I really do appreciate the effort that goes into all this but I think it would do these folks well to move slower. I don't mean slower in a general way but rather, when you do an update, don't launch it until you know it works at least to SOME degree of certainty..

It occurs to me that in all likelihood, the problem this time around will come down to relatively small things that were missed as apposed to a larger concept that didn't work. In my field,if you handed off a Rhythm Section Edit and it was sloppy , people would come unglued because the rest of the music project would not be allowed to continue until it was fixed. This would be true whether it was being done for free or otherwise. :tuttut:

OK, I'm done whining .. :dunno:

Ivan.................................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

:-#

Ivan I'm a programmer by living, and you hit the nail pretty well ;-)

Maybe the problem is the eagerness to release thing not tested properly. I think they test the client on two (apparently alike) systems, and if it works there "it works in general" that proven not to be so..!

I've learned my lesson last time there was a "major" update, so I wont be commenting on this one, I think my opinion is well known...

BUT:

Firstly I don't need a work-around, I need a client that works, period.

All due respect, I think one thing must have top-priority:

Re-write the auto-update "utility" to be optional instead of forced. In that case we could stay on a working client, and it would give the developer a bit more time on their hands to do some proper testing and those who are willing to take the chance with a new client would have the possibility to do so. And I second that Konny should tighten the leash a little more towards DaKurt.

I will refrain from commenting on FN, but I address this to our CEO trusting that he will bring the suggestions to the right place.

(PS. how can one with respect for himself post a thing like "Have fun. I hope it works fine....." :think: )
Last edited by DanKH on 14 Dec 2006, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Hi John,

I flew the 748 from Tille to Gatwick last night under the new client. Having discovered that the old method drained my tanks completely, and rapidly running out of flying time, I put 50% in both tanks, clicked on the Compare method and off I went. I did NOT pause the sim at any time. The result ? Well, apart from making a v$140k loss on the flight due to my over enthusiastic refuel, the client showed my block fuel as -842150442kg so methinks all is not as it should be! If you need any other details it is the last flight in my logbook.

I can only echo the sentiments expressed by others in this thread. This constant changing is starting to grind.

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Colin,

Yep, I saw last night other VA's with flight reports showing similar block fuel 'meaningless' figures as yourself. That fault was added to my post at FlyNET.

Rgds

John