Can i fly in FSX ?.

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Here's one the other way around...

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=98675

That really helped eh? :roll: :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Well you can actually flawlessly open an FS9 flightplan in FSX.

Save it and it will have converted into a FSX plan.

You'll have to wait for the FSNav-team to have developed a new version though to use FSNav in FSX.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dan,

No.. I'm not a full convert yet.. not by a long way but I do actually like FSX. I find the terrain much improved as are the ground textures.. the latter resembling FSScene rather than the default rubbish we got with FS9. I have it installed on my XP3200 and on the default settings (which are as you know, low) it runs well. I've tinkered with the settings a little (a consequence of installing GenX) and the sim looks better and runs no less smooth.
Sadly, I can't get GenX to run without it stuttering and the stuttering get's worse the longer you're in the sim.. something reported by a number of users and a problem yet to be successfully resolved so GenX is deselected at present :sad: The biggest pile of poo is Autogen. It looks very impressive.. head and shoulders over FS9 but even on the lowest setting takes my framerate down from around 40 (locked at 40) to between 12 and 20 :shock:

Another reason for not being a full convert is the lack of FSNav. So dependant have I become on its moving map display over the years that I don't like flying without it now. Nothing new there mind you as I didn't go over to FS9 until an FSN version for it was released :wink: The sole reason I'm using FSX now is for beta testing Dave Garwoods new FSX Rapide and like Rick, it seemed pointless just flying it offline hence the VA flights I've been doing :wink:

Btw.. the 'U' in FSUIPC.. I took that straight off the website mate as I couldn't remember what it was for :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Going back to FSUIPC

As I understand it then.....or not :roll: :lol: ......

It's an interface of sorts?

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello mate,

Yes.. it's exactly that :wink: It allows two-way comms between the sim and addon programs.. making the addons work as if they are part of the sim and not separate to it :smile: Of course, it's actually much more than that as it actually lets you change the way various parts of the sim function but interface is a good word :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I would prefer API (Advanced Programming Interface) and then again..

Inter Process Communication is probably the best "word" for what it is.

It interops (inter-operates) by using memory areas instead of interfaces, so it is a bit more "hard core" than an ordinary API, and thus if not programmed with care, possibly the culprit of many a memory conflict...... whereas an "normal" API can be programmed to handle errors/exceptions more user-friendly.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That makes sense..I have heard of conflict due to FSUIPC being wrongly set of wrong versions.....not often but enough to make me think.

Thanks for all that.......so much easier to use something properly when you at know not so much all about it, but at least what it is suppose to do.

Many things then make sense and it's easier when a problem occurs to source it by getting and idea where it lies.

One can learn a lot by sorting out errors once the basic functions are understood.

So again great info......thanks guys :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Garry,

Looking at the readme that comes with FSUIPC4, the prog itself can cause untold probs in the sim.. so much so that I was a little reluctant to install it. Further probs can occur when the prog is registered :shock: For my part, I've not seen anything obviously wrong since I installed it so I may have been lucky. Makes a change! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

As Peter has stated on his forum, the new version 4 uses more or less SimConnect for all its interacts with the sim, and therefore I should be less of a bugger....

As I said before the registered version "only" opens up for other tampering not much needed in general.

Previous all add-ons used FSUIPC as the way to interact with the sim, and therefore there is a great demand of still using this product.

I hope though that more and more opens up for using Simconnect directly and not being dependant on FSUIPC. I will myself indeed. As my "religion" bids me to use as less 3'rd party components as possible... thus minimizing the possibilities for errors introduced by other than me and the original producer, here Microsoft/Aces.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image