New Recruits please post details here

New pilots report here for all info regarding recruitment and airline rules.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Hi DB, yep this time I'm in.
Had a look at this the other week & never went the full distance because there was a lack of aeroplanes that I know how to fly properly.

Do we have set routes, or do we just pick wherever we fancy going?
I will be doing short haul. 1-11, Trident, 748.

No worries about waiting a couple of days, gives me time to practice landing with the gear down.

Why are we new kids recommend to go to Stanstead BTW!? :lol:
Just had a look down the list & there's hardly anything in there!
Can I bagsy that 748 for a quick hop to a proper airport? :smile:

DM

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Forgot to ask.
Do you have to use the FS ATC?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

you don't have to use any ATC DM... just get in your A/C and get to you destination without breaking any of the rules, (Lights / speed etc.... actually thats all there is.) :dance:

Just remember to load enough fuel. :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stanstead is our homebase DM so we all start there. What you do is choose the type of aircraft you want to fly then see where they're located. Once done (and you're type rated of course), you have to buy a ticket out of your VA dosh to get to that location. Once there, you simply book the flight.. read the briefing document then logoff. When you're ready to go.. start FS at your flight start location then reduce it (don't have pause on task ticked!!).. double click on the Flynet Client icon on your desktop.. login (you only need to do it once.. you'll be remembered next time) then check the booked flight is the one you actually booked.
If you're satisfied, click on 'Fly Booked Flight' and you will be presented with a fuel load screen. If you're picking up an aircraft that's not been used before.. this figure will be zero (painful) but if not, you will see what fuel that aircraft has in its tanks. If you are happy with that amount (will never happen) hit the refuel button. This scenario will rarely happen so type in what fuel you actually want and hit the refuel button. The Flynet client screen will change to show your aircraft status.

Reopen FS and you'll find your aircraft is fuelled (minus 1kg) to the level you asked for and is cold. Run through your checks and off you go.. remembering NOT to taxi above 25kts and to make sure your LANDING LIGHTS are ON before you start rolling. Landing lights MAY be turned off above 1000ft but MUST be turned off above 10000ft. As you are going to use the 748.. exceeding 250kts below FL100 shouldn't be a problem :wink:

On landing.. make sure you pull the old girl up within 1minute as after this time.. the client is looking to see if you are still above 25kts. You don't have to go to the gate to finish the flight (although I do).. you can simply pull off the runway and when ready, engage your parking brakes. Within a couple of seconds.. you'll hear a 'Bing Bong' which indicates the flight has finished as far as the client is concerned.

Reduce FS again to see your flightstat on the Client window and when you're happy, hit the END FLIGHT button.

If you want to fly the same aircraft back.. you will have to go back onto FLynet (not the Client) and book your return flight as you did the outgoing one. When done.. logoff. Then.. double click on the Client Icon again.. logon, check your Booked Flight is the correct one then hit the 'Fly Booked Flight' button. You'll be confronted by the fuel page and will see it exactly as you left it (presuming you are coming back on the same aircraft). Enter the fuel you need.. restore FS and off you go again :wink:

As for flights.. everything that is available for a given aircraft can be found at Flynet (again.. not the client but the main site). The good thing is.. how you actually fly it is up to you. Use FSNav, FSBuild, DTO GPS.. whatever you like :wink: If you want weather.. select it, if you don't (and I'd advise against it until you're confident) then you don't have to. Quite simply.. Don't speed on the ground (go at or above 25kts).. always have your landing lights on at up to 1000ft but off above 10000ft and don't exceed 250kts below FL100. All those things done.. you'll maintain 100% pilot rating :wink: Whatever added realism you want to inject, you are free to do so. :wink:

Oh.. and reference the routes, they are all kosha, bonafide, none made uppy ones :smile: :smile:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Thanks chaps. I'm reasonably happy about what to do now.

Just took a practice 748 ride Stansted to Brum. Points would have been lost on landing lights. Knew I had to use them but still forgot on takeoff and landing. :tuttut:
I'll be sticking with the more familiar 1-11 for the first attempt.

DM

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Dave,

I found it easier to plan the first few flights VFR, that way you have less stress after T/O and no ATC vectoring while you're initial climbing out,
just remember to use clear weather, in daylight is best.

everthing else is very enjoyable with the huge variety of routes and A/C available.
expect a few random failures, you can't avoid them.

Robbie.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

robbie wrote:I found it easier to plan the first few flights VFR, that way you have less stress after T/O and no ATC vectoring while you're initial climbing out, just remember to use clear weather, in daylight is best.
If you're going to fly VFR into and out of the UK, Robbie, it's going to have to be "in daylight" - VFR at night is not permitted here regardless of the prevailing met conditions.
PP

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

I'll be flying DFR (Dave's Flight Rules). :heaven:

I already have a set routine for doing 'proper flights' so that will carry on.
All VOR & NDB with a bit of pen & paper (ie guesswork) for any awkward bits between.
A basic plan from Routefinder does me http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/
Maybe a chart from http://www.fscharts.com/
And no speaking to FS ATC. :smile:

DM

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya DM :smile:

No sir.. FS ATC is a no-no for me too. I tried it once and wish I hadn't. Turned on progressive taxiing (to parking) at Guernsey and there wasn't any :shock: I hit parked up, applied ground brakes and ended the flight.. nipped back on to Flynet.. booked another flight and took off. THe last thing I heard from ATC was 'AJG.. you do not have takeoff clearance' :lol: :lol: Tuned back to Radio2 and all was well :lol: :lol:

Not having your landing lights on hurts your pilot rating a wee bit and thus the VA's reputation but that's what practise is all about :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Yep COM 1 set to 88.1 for me too. :lol:
John managed to sort me out a uniform from wherever he is, so I've done my maiden flight!
Trident 3 from Heathrow to Newcastle. Did an automated landing & all went well.
Pilot rating -5% for a minor taxi speed offence at Heathrow. I was glad to see that was all it said about the incident! :lol:

Internet connection dropped just before the turn onto the ILS. FS minimized itself & presented me with a connection dialog while leaving me Trident hurtling along. Nice. :doh:
Had to swing round & try again, but fortunately FlyNet handles a reconnect & does resume the flight.

I also spent £90 on bus fair trying to get on a flippin' 1-11. Not sure if I understand the scheduled flights bit.
Can we get any more 1-11 flights set up or am I missing something obvious?

Anyway a good time was had. :smile:

DM