Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Non-British aircraft

Post by DispatchDragon »

of course

Standard Thompson Skytours bucket and spade brigade flights Plus it was used widely for trooping the usual BAR destinations,
Hannover Gutersloh, Rhein main plus Akrotiri, Gibralter - Not widely known was that at least two of Brits 737s were QCs and
were used on Horse freighters frequently Cork, Dublin, France etc etc. Dan Airs 727s basically replaced the Comets so exisiting Comet route for them can be used - They also operated in and out of Tegel supplanting the BAC1-11s to Izmir and Istanbul.

And yes Garry BY was one of the three launch carriers for the 200 :)

Some nice colour scheme variants there

If you want some more eclectic routes for Britannia I'll ask Mrs H - she did run George Beresfords office for him ;)

Leif

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Leif

I think there were three QC.....G-AXNA,B,C and the other exception was G-AZNZ with was the only second hand a 222 built for United. They did use a few odd ones later on lease .

The 737 was unusual as Lufthnsa was a launch customer for the 100 which was only sold to them and as far as I know, Malayasia-Singapore.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

XNA. B C were the second block that Britannia took delivery of, the first of course being VRL,M,N,O
they were ordered sepcifically because Britannia was chartered frequently for bloodstock flights for Newmarket
(seems odd because Cambridge would have been closer, but LEP had the bloodstock import export business
pretty well cornered at Luton). Again the MOD used the QC 's as well for moving sequipment back and forth the Germany
ZNZ was an odd ball aircraft arriving while I was in the US the first time. It was interesting as Boeing had a permanent
corp of engineers at Luton with BY - and you got the feeling at times that they were using BY as Guinea Pigs with 200.

Oh BTW John, Dave - I have G-AVRL/M/N/O registers at Flynet at present
if you wish to fly them in Flysneck in BAL original colours I will reregister VHAs aircraft (Yes they do live at LTN)

Luton/Manchester/Leeds Bradford/Newcastle/Glasow (GLA base was know both for the Brit 100 and the 737 as "Alderman's Airways"
as it was run by a Captain named Jamie Alderman (about whom a fair sized book could be written)

Destinations included Thompsons Skytours

Palma/Ibiza/Mahon/Gerona/Barcelona/Alicante/Malaga/Seville/Zaragoza
Rimini/Genoa/Naples/Milan/Venice/Pisa/Brindisi
Corfu/Herkalion/Rhodes/Thesaloniki/Athens
Split/Lubijana/Dubrovnik/Kos
Larnaca/Malta
Tunis/Djerba/Teneriffe/Lanzarote

They also had of course G-AYSL which operated to Montego Bay. Calgary, Winnipeg, it also operated east bound to Columbo,Hong Kong, Seletar,

My Mum is trying to remember where else they went - some really fun stuff for the Britannia as well - including the Kabaul Hadj which Britannia
oeprated with a 100 series Brit in 65/66/67

Hope thats some help

Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Much appreciated Leif.. many thanks :thumbsup:

I don't foresee any movement toward the baby Boeings for a while but if and when that day comes.. at least we know where to send 'em ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

i can highly recommend the tinmouse v2 B737-200, lurvly bit of cockpit clockwork, has the usual functioning overhead, pedestal etc

if you like the BAC 1-11 you will like this, much the same period but with the engines in the wings, completely different character to the B737-300/400 etc

Ben Hartmann

Post by Ben Hartmann »

They also had of course G-AYSL which operated to Montego Bay. Calgary, Winnipeg, it also operated east bound to Columbo,Hong Kong, Seletar,
Don't forget the other 707 that also appeared in full scheme with Brits, G-AYEX I think it was.

EDIT: Have a look see http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=229953

Rgds

Ben

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Forgotten about Echo X Ben
It lived in Manch most of the time - just like SL spent more time at Stansted and Gatwick than Luton because of the runway length

Leif

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Looking at the routes on the route page, I presume as and when they come on stream the Boeings will have a more extensive route system. We could then invade the US with civilised Aircraft like Viscounts.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Simon,

Yes, we are looking at the authentic routes for all the aircraft that we are introducing to the fleet so the Boeings will be widespread.

Regards

John

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I was quite serious about invading the USA. There are plenty of ClassicBrit Aircraft routes over there.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman