G-KILO

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomb
Comet
Comet

G-KILO

Post by Tomb »

finding route info on this old girl is like finding hens teeth and i have been reading a LOT of old flight magazines and i mean a LOT

having decided to be a Frieght Dog this month and only fly cargo i would be interested in seeing her airborne

anyway the routes for BA's B747-200F's what little i can find

Cycle 1
Stanstead-Shanghai-Delhi-Stanstead

Cycle 2
Stanstead-Damman-Dubai-Shanghai-Mumbai-Stanstead

other direct routes (presumably from stanstead)

Chicago (a primary route)
Kuwait
Jo'Burg
Frankfurt
Hong Kong (VHHX yehaa)

Known flight numbers used to Hong Kong
BA3571 Dep
BA3572 Arr
BA3573 Dep
BA3574 Arr

each place was passed through once a week except Shanghai was twice a week (not including Stanstead of course)

three other places crop up

Prestwick and New York and Heathrow, no idea or information how they fitted in, i am thinking inital early days

G-KILO did 114,013 hrs, 4600 with BA, she was broken up at kemble in may 2008, averaging 11hrs a day in the air

we have the virtual one on our books chaps, lets get her in the air

pretty please come on you route chaps, make my day, i need a new challange

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: G-KILO

Post by DaveB »

Hi Bob :hello:

Thanks for that. Can't remember if I brought G-KILO back or if you did but I agree.. it'd be nice to have somewhere for her to go. She was a bit of a white elephant in reality hence, BA only bought the one and this is why you've had problems finding flight details for her. It seemed like a good idea at the time but soon after she was purchased, it became evident that with the increase in freight capacity of 'everyday' passenger aircraft.. the necessity for something of this size was negated. BA then sold the cargo arm (though it still operated and still does wearing BA titles) and shoved it off to Stansted.

Wonder how busy JohnP is at the mo :worried:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Re: G-KILO

Post by Tomb »

yup its quite complex but essentially they ended up wet leasing thier aircraft and i was amused to read "BA wet lease a B747-200F to suppliment thier 3xB747-400F frieghters" also presumably wet leased.

G-KILO went to many places, the difficulity is finding something scheduled that the B747-200F could or did fly on i do kinda wonder if G-KILO's log book survives

would be cool to take a peek