North Atlantic routes

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Stephane Desrosiers
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

North Atlantic routes

Post by Stephane Desrosiers »

Does anybody know the properliners routes when they cross the North Atlantic ? I would like to make an hardsim historic flight from London to New York with Bristol Britannia. There is a VOR trail (for exemple: Iceland/Grennland/Labrador) ? Or i try to reach the west at random in waiting the coastline like Cristobal Columbus ?

Regards

Stéphane Desrosiers

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: North Atlantic routes

Post by DaveB »

Hi Stephane :hello:

For North America, I'm pretty sure they'd have gone up and over mate.. similar to how they do now but further North.. that is, keeping within striking distance of Iceland/Greenland as you mention. I couldn't say for certain though but you can bet someone here will know ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ggi
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ggi »

I'm fairly sure it was a cross between dead reckoning using available forecasts and getting long range NDB directional info from places like Narsarssuaq (Bluie West One?) in Greenland. I think you could get a range of about 300 miles from them subject to weather conditions. Once you were out of range of the Scottish beacons you would track towards Iceland, Greenland then St John. Have you got a drift computer and clock to work with? I'm not sure if the Britannia needed a stop at Prestwick and/or St. John heading westbound.
Gary

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The Brit wouldn't need a tech stop....El Al did New York -Tel Aviv direct but the nav limits would have determined the routes and I would guess as Dave suggests..north but perhaps a little further than they do now. *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."