Viscount Fuel question

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Viscount Fuel question

Post by simondix »

I have just renewed my TR on the Viscount. As they were short flights I split the fuel, fuel for trip plus 75 mins extra, between the 4 tanks equally. I kept the temps Ok and used fuel heat where required. I had the fuel management tick/cross on red the whole flight. On those short flights do I just ignore it or what was I failing to do. It did not affect the flight in any way.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Viscount Fuel question

Post by DaveB »

Not flown the Viscount for longer than I can remember but.. did you trim the fuel? That may well have an influence on you seeing the red cross :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Simon,

I had this too. The manual goes into quite a bit of detail so I had to have a few practice goes. If the fuel weight in the outer tanks is below certain limits you should open the inter engine feeds and switch off the fuel pumps on the outer tanks until your on approach.
FUEL MANAGEMENT.

In order to minimise stress on the wing, it is desirable to retain fuel in the outer tanks for as long as possible. To achieve this, as soon as is convenient after takeoff, open both inter engine cocks and observe the magnetic indicators follow selection. If the inners contain more than 800 lb/100 Imp galls switch off both booster pumps in each outer tank and ensure the low pressure lamps stay out. Fuel will now be supplied to all four engines from the inner tanks only. Run the inner tanks down to approximately 800lb/100 galls each, then switch on the booster pumps in the outer tanks and switch off those in the inner tanks. If the inner tanks after takeoff contain 800lb/100 galls or less, open the inter engine cocks and switch off the booster pumps in each inner tank, when fuel will be drawn from the outer tanks only.

Take care to make the selections in the correct order to avoid fuel starvation.

Normally when the outer tanks reach a level similar to that of the outers, ie balanced tanks, the booster pumps are all switched on again and the inter engine cocks closed, when each tank will revert to feeding its own engine, although this is unlikely on shorter flights.

During the approach checks, all the booster pumps are switched on and the inter engine cocks closed, when each tank will revert to feeding its respective engine.

Contingency fuel of 4400lb/2000kg/550 Imp Galls should be loaded in addition to trip fuel at all times, unless take off weight restricts this to a lower value.

Selection of the data card, by clicking the V icon then clicking the card itself, displays the Fuel Plan card. Clicking on the area of the trip distance allows the estimated trip distance to be set, thereafter the required fuel and its distribution will be displayed.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Dave. Yes I trimmed and kept fiddling about but it did not make any difference.

Thanks for the answer Ben, I will look at that. However the flight was 82 miles there and 82 miles back. Theoretically I should have loaded the equal amount of fuel in the tanks, and apart from trimming leave them alone. I will have a fiddle but not on FS Airlines.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I found that FSA doesn't load the tanks as it should, my outers where almost empty flying to /from Stockholm so had to follow the procedure in the manual. FSA always seems to load the inners :dunno:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks for the HU Ben.
Simon