Vanguard help please

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Vanguard help please

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ady :hello:

Yes.. Fsim can't simulate a dual start sequence.. as far as it's concerned, the engines have started or they haven't. Fraser made the procedure look quite authentic from inside though :)

I'll flash up the FS9 pc and take a look at the old girl again ;) Can't think of a reason off the top of my head why you're seeing what you're seeing so re-visiting the model may give me a prod :poke:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dave...It does on my CL-44 later betas thanks to Frasers special coding and bespoke animation, (A little trade secret as to how :shhh: :-# )...so it is possible to simulate the dual start externally in FS :excited: ...as long as It's done by Fraser. :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes, you're right. The CL-44 does it and I've remembered how :lol:

Ady.. I have the Vanguard up and running on the FS9 pc from cold. It's quite easy to make the start fail if you're a little impatient :lol: I don't have the benefit of the manual in front of me but I know that it can't be far different from how I've just run it.

HP fuel cocks shut.. starting fuel open on ALL engines.
Master start switch Safe to Master Start.. engine 3 switch to Start (igniter lamp on).
HP fuel cock for engine 3 to OPEN (engine will stabilize at a little over 2100rpm +/-)

On the start panel.. engine 4 to Start (igniter lamp on).
HP fuel cock for engine 4 to OPEN (engine will stabilize at a little over 2100rpm +/-)

On the start panel.. engine 1 to Start (igniter lamp on).
HP fuel cock for engine 1 to OPEN (engine will stabilize at a little over 2100rpm +/-)

On the start panel.. engine 2 to Start (igniter lamp on).
HP fuel cock for engine 2 to OPEN (engine will stabilize at a little over 2100rpm +/-)

With all engines running in low ground beta.. starting fuel engine 3 to off followed by engine 4, engine 1 and finally engine 2. Engines will run up to ground idle. Master Start switch to SAFE.. Start window finished with so close. Fuel Trim as required.. control locks off.. Bob's your uncle :)

It's important that you don't switch the Starting Fuel switches from START to OFF until all the engines are running at ground idle and leave the MASTER START to MASTER START until the engines are running at ground idle and the Starting fuel switches are to OFF. Do one before the other and the engines will cut.

This is assuming you have fuel in all 4 tanks.. boosters are open for all tanks and inter-engine cocks/crossfeed are closed. The procedure for starting with fuel in tanks 2 and 3 only is identical except that the boosters for engines 1 and 4 are closed and inter-engine cocks for 1+2 and 3+4 are open :)

Hope this helps ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Yep, that is exactly how I am starting the engines, patience and slowly, yet 1 and 2 props turn as soon as HP cock is on. 3&4 behave correctly!

Ady.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ady :)

I've re-read your original comments over and over to make sure in my pea-sized brain what it is you're seeing. I thought it was one problem but may in fact be two.. that is, engines 1 and 2 aren't running up correctly (400rpm then back to zero - igniters out) but they fire up as soon as the HP cock is opened AND the props for 1 and 2 rotate. Props 3 and 4 remain static until Start fuel is switched to off.

I don't know about the prop animation.. my goofing outside isn't usually until they're all at ground idle :lol: The engines shouldn't run up to 400 +/- then cut again. Are you waiting too long to open the HP cock I wonder? *-) I'm remembering more about the real thing than the model and on that.. you wait until you have at least 2000HPrpm before opening the HP cock (that's HP not LP rpm) but I can't remember if this is simulated via the panel *-) When I ran the engines up yesterday.. I pretty much opened the HP cock as soon as I was happy the props were turning (as seen on the LPrpm gauges) rather than wait.. as you would on the real one. If you wait too long before opening the HP cocks, the igniter will cut.. it's timed to stop thermal damage.

I'll wind FS9 up again and take another look but in the meantime.. see if it runs up better if you speed the sequence up a bit :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Tried speeding the sequence up, same result. I have had a thought based on how they behave on shut down, I will try it then report back.
I might just try a different airframe and see how that behaves ;)
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Okey doh.. let me know how you get on :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

No difference.
I can leave the HP cocks on 1&2 closed, the engines will still start and props turn!
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Odd.. very odd *-) What OS are you running? I've never run it on anything higher than WinXP SP3.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit).
The ridiculous thing is 3&4 behave correctly, just 1&2 are odd.
ImageImage