CNB - DC-4

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: CNB - DC-4

Post by simondix »

Yes it was interesting. However the Short flying boats were still there and in earlier post war ones Lockheeds. A minefield.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

had a look through my Air Britain CD Airlines of the British Isles since 1919. 4 DC4s were chartered to BOAC from Skyways in 1948.. British Eagle had 2. British United had 6. 4 of those were converted to Carvairs. Continental Air Transport 2. Autair/Court Line 1. Dan Air Leased 2. Falcon Airways Leased 1. Independent Air Transport 3. Invicta 4. Lloyd International 4. Silver City 1. Starways 7. Transmeridian 2. World Wide Aviation 3. Ace Freighters 2. Air Charter 4. Air Condor 1. Air Ferry 4. Airwork leased 3 with N registrations.

Some of the above operated for more than one of the above airlines. G-APID being a good example.
Last edited by simondix on 19 Feb 2018, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Interesting how B(oeing) Airways (in its various guises) and the issue of American versus British iron still rumbles on today, at least as far as we are concerned, isn't it?
Jim
edit: As a by the by, if one was minded to incorporate within a fleet the complete smorgasboard (there isn't really a better word I can think of) of BOAC historical offerings, there are some pretty standout items on that menu, as I'm sure you know. Several Mosquitos (Sweden route), a Focke Wulf Condor, Catalinas, Liberators, Hudsons, Lodestars it is a bizarre list. Then too, alas, all those lovely flying boats...

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

if you want to set up the flights from the USA I will get started in getting the DC4 back here.
Simon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

simondix wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 09:55
if you want to set up the flights from the USA I will get started in getting the DC4 back here.
I thought I had but just checked and I had setup the flight from Phoenix Arizona to Chicago but used kord instead of kmdw where thee codeshare routes start, just fixed that.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Tanks for mtthat. I will start sometime in the week. Having a new SSD fitted this week so I can run P3Dv4 on it.
Simon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I setup additional DC-4 routes based on those 1949 BOAC tables, routing through London, Malta and Damascus plus added one based on a South African Airways route (in association with BOAC) from London to FAJS.

Having finished relocating the L-049 from Karachi to Heathrow I headed down to Upington South Africa to pickup the DC-4 that was down there. Having flown the JBK DC-4 many times I was excited to try out the new Flight Replicas on my first real VA flight for it. A relocation route had been setup 1760 nm to Nairobi Kenya. I load up a full load of fuel (5432kg) and am off, cruising at FL140, mp30, 2000rpm. I have my fuel spread sheet open and quickly determine that I am not going to make it to Nairobi. I end up diverting at Mfume, Zambia landing with 18% fuel after traveling 1088nm.

This morning I did some comparisons, FSA shows the fuel capacity of the DC-4 as 13.370 kg so the default FR model was only 40% of that.
From the aircraft.cfg files, the FR Douglas DC-4 has a fuel capacity of 1996 gallons, the JBK Douglas DC-4 has a fuel capacity of 3600 gallons. Further digging the FR Douglas C-54B has 3736 gallons and the C-54A has 3624 while the DC-4-1009/C-54 SAAF and R5D all are in the 1900 range.

I will probably use the C-54B for the next leg to Khartoum (at least its fuel specs), but even still I would have thought with the fuel I started with I should have been able to make it from Upington to Nairobi.
Joe Cusick,

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

FWIW I usually use a rule of thumb of about 1500 to 2000lbs of fuel being 'disappeared' by FSA when fuelling up for a 1000 odd miles flight, for whatever reason it does that, in the Argo (JBK version). Which is similar to the DC4 as I understand it Joe?
At Frankfurt just now in the Super Connie, next stop Istanbul. Conversely, an aircraft that hardly seems to use much fuel at all. Lets see how it does on a long run though.
Jim

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Joe,

I flew the leg KGYR to KMDW in the FR DC4. I also noticed it was heavy on the juice. It will be interesting on the Gander-Shannon Leg.
Simon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Hi Simon, I did the leg from Nairobi to Khartoum. I updated the fuel tanks on the DC-4 to match the C-54B and used the provided performance charts to set the engines correctly. After that flight I think I can get 2600nm out of her but its going to be close.
Joe Cusick,