Missing aircraft

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Missing aircraft

Post by adysmith »

GBOAC and GBOAG do not appear in the available aircraft list (at FSA) at Heathrow, they show up in Fleet Status, one im maintenance at 100%, mthe other at 98.7%.

Is this the "one year without being flown" that recently got implemented by FSA?

I fear with the number of pilots we have this is going to take a lot of aircraft out of action.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Missing aircraft

Post by blanston12 »

In response to the new rules that require aircraft be maintained within 2 years to be flown I have been sending aircraft into repairs to keep them available. We have built maintenance centers, which help reduce the cost of doing the work at EGLL, EGCC, EGKK, EGNX and EGPF

G-BOAG looks like its ready to go, G-BOAC is in the queue to be maintained, but there are several aircraft in front of it waiting to get in, so it will be a few days before its ready.

My goal is to get aircraft into repairs once they are within 3 months of the 2 year limit.
Last edited by blanston12 on 08 Apr 2019, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

:thumbsup:
ImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

So if we see aircraft that have not been used and we can use them then do so?
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

My suggestion is that If you see an aircraft that is nearing the two year limit and its at an airport with a maintenance centre, try to pick another aircraft unless you're sure you can get it back before the two year expires.

If you see an aircraft that is near the two year limit and its not at an airport with a maintenance centre, fly it to an airport that does. I will try to get a list going of AC that need moving.
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hmm, tend to agree with Ade We have such a small rota of pilots and such large fleets of aircraft its inevitable most won't get flown ever, let alone in between compulsory maintenance. Perhaps it's a case of reducing the fleets to manageable numbers . I think most of us tend to use the same aircraft when we swap types , you use the fuel that you bought the last time you flew it. I know I do
There's several fleets no one can fly and probably no one ever will
Looks a lot more work for the fleet managers (Joe) Its been said before that there's one or two of us pilots that would be happy to help
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Dale I agree with you.

We do have way too many aircraft for what we need. Here are a few aircraft where we have a lot.

26 British Aerospace 1-11-500
28 Hawker Siddeley Trident 2
19 Hawker Siddeley Trident 3
59 Hawker Siddeley HS.748
51 Vickers Viscount 800srs
23 Boeing 737-200 Adv
49 Douglas DC-3

Log into FSA and go to finance->balance sheet and you can see the full list. We have 1242 aircraft in total.

Here is an initial proposal, we keep a small number active, for those aircraft we can't bare to part with we move to EGBP/Cotswold which FSA designated as a storage airport where we can mothball them. The remainder we can sell. Reducing the number of aircraft will also be an advantage since FSA is starting parking fees also.

There are a few aircraft where its useful to have more because they can be used to transport yourself between airports, so maybe we active 8-10 each of the Dove,Rapide,HS.748 and DC-3. For the Classic British Jet Fleet we keep up to 6 active. All other fleets we keep no more than 4.

I noticed for the Trident 2 we have three sets of disconnected routes, in Europe, South Asia and China. There are 2 aircraft stranded at OPKC and 8 more in China. Lets connect these disconnected routes and we can leave the remaining AC in the UK.

What do you all think?

Dale, since you volunteered I will take it upon myself to promote you to Fleet Manager (I am sure DM and John won't mind), Ady if your interested just say the word.
Joe Cusick,

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Yeah, make me a fleet manager as well.
ImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

adysmith wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 08:03
Yeah, make me a fleet manager as well.
Congrats Fleet Manager Smith
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Thanks Joe :thumbsup: As I said, I'm more that happy to help
Difficult to say how many a/c we need active at the various hubs, or if we need aircraft at every hub, provided there's a route to get there. I suppose we keep more of the popular aircraft, which we all fly available. But having said that we seem to manage ok with the fleets where we only have a few, Connie, 757, Conc. for example. :dunno:
Pm us the idiots guide to fleet management ;)
Dale
Image Image Image