Our fleets : Comments please

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Our fleets : Comments please

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi all. With the changes to the maintenance features in FSA, ie. Aircraft deteriorate even if not used, eventually to the point where they are unflyable, and the additional parking charges having them standing idle, dotted around various airports, leads me to think we need to reduce our active fleets. It's only going to become more and more of a pain trying to keep on top of servicing some 700 or so aircraft.
I am not suggesting we get rid or sell aircraft , the guys who originally setup the VA worked long and hard obtaining the fleets and registrations that we currently have. What I suggest we move aircraft into storage. We have a/c types that we don't currently have pilots for which may as well all go into store. If someone wants a TR, its easy enough to pull a few out, recommision and transfer to a home training base. We also can reduce the active fleets to a sensible level to suit the number of current pilots, say 10 aircraft of each type. We manage ok with the types we only have a few of, L101, Concorde, 757
Another idea is to convert a few aircraft to freighter to take advantage of the new package facility that's been rolled out in FSA. Maybe expanding a few routes for aircraft that currently don't use the package hubs
What do you think??
Dale
Image Image Image

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: Our fleets : Comments please

Post by adysmith »

Sounds eminently sensible, we have a storage base at Kemble and can simply transfer the aircraft there.

When I am flying I always try to use the one with the most time since last flight if possible to keep them "current".
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I haven’t flown for the VA in some time, and despite my best intentions, I’ve still not managed to sign up again.
This approach sounds pragmatic and sensible, and one I would support.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I agree also. In order to help out with this initiative I have created a new "Mothball Fleet" based at Kemble and routes between Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester that any aircraft can use. I just transferred (flew) a DC-10 from EGKK to it. The first member of the Mothball fleet.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Hello All,

I have been doing some work on this project and have come up with a proposal on how many aircraft we should transfer out of our normal fleets and into the mothball fleet, which can be found in this google spread sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This shows all the aircraft we have, how many are already in the mothball fleet and how many pilots have type ratings for those aircraft. Then I gave a 'target' of how many should be active based on how many pilots, a number of 2, 4, 6 or 8. Some of the aircraft that are useful as air taxi's I have given a higher number (DC-3, Dove, Rapide, HS748) so more would be available for us to get around.

Over the last couple weeks I have flown or transferred a few aircraft to Kemble that were getting close to the 2 year maintenance date and all aircraft parked there I also added to the mothball fleet. In addition the inactive fleets (like pending refurbishment and those saving registration numbers) I have transferred to Kemble.

When aircraft in the mothball fleet get close to the mandatory two year maintenance we could just 'mothball' then to keep them in a state of arrested decay without having to pay for full maintenance.

We should probably reconsider how many bases we have for each aircraft, maybe limiting it to just one or two so you know where to start flying.

Anyone want a link to edit the spreadsheet just send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

Thoughts?
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Nice work Joe
I think you are just about there with the numbers, The only thing I would like to suggest is that we have a few far flung routes where some aircraft are marooned. Trident in the far east is one that springs to mind I thing we should leave at least one aircraft at those bases to serve those routes.
I have started to send aircraft to Kemble, transferring the ones closest to reduce relocation costs. I thing we deal with the ones at risk of becoming unserviceable first then a structured approach dealing with one fleet at a time. It would be good to virtually fly them to Kemble but I simply don't have the sim models to shift many, or the time for that matter !
Having fun with the 748F You need to plan your flights at least two sectors in advance to make sure you have a back load of packages on the return. (doesn't always work) :lol:
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

As far as those far flung bases are concerned I think we have connecting routes now but then, who would want to fly a trident all the way from Britain to China just to fly those routes. We should find some place to park them then where somebody has a maintenance center with reasonable rates.
Joe Cusick,

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I have tried to stick around the Glasgow area as I like to fly Scottish and regional flights. I also try to fly my aircraft I have a TR for in rotation so the aircraft at the bottom of my TR list is the next. ie my next is the Dove. If I cannot fly to the next TR I buy a ticket as I don't spend my money on anything else. If you could leave me a Trislander and Islander at Glasgow. I see I am the only one to Fly the SC7 so I only need 1 and there are three at Glasgow.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

We have been slowly moving all the required aircraft to the mothball fleet. Based on my calculations these are the aircraft we still need to move.

Canadair C-4 Argonaut: 4
Douglas DC-3: 6
Handley Page Dart Herald: 3
Hawker Siddeley HS.748: 11
Vickers Viking: 5
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Sound fine Joe. :thumbsup:
There's a few a/c parked in Kemble waiting to be transfered to mothball. I think we aren't too sure how to do it :-O
Dale
Image Image Image