Viscount help please

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Viscount help please

Post by adysmith »

FSA keeps telling me (OK I'm only on second training flight) that the aircraft is overweight when it isn't.

FSA is showing Take off Weight of 26924, MTOW 32886, OVERWEIGHT!

Also, I can't get full flap down until the aircraft is actually on the ground. Am I doing something wrong here?
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Viscount help please

Post by Vc Ten »

So do you mean you had to off load fuel or pax to get below max weight ?
Not sure how the client reads the a/c weight in the sim but the unloaded weight must be in aircraft cfg. I know there are a few sim aircraft where to get sufficient fuel on board you have to off load pax, or cargo. Not sure if its realistically same in real world.
Is there something in the model preventing the full flap deployment above a certain airspeed? :dunno:
On Rick's reworked 748 the gear won't deploy above 150 knts
Dale
Image Image Image

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I was already below MTOW according to the numbers on the FSA client, but it gave me the OVERWEIGHT message and I had to offload passengers.

Real World is always a trade off between passengers/cargo and fuel, for instance Concorde could only take 98 pax TO JFK but 100 JFK to LHR because the prevailing wind meant more fuel to go westbound.

I was way below flap limiting speed but it just wouldn't deploy flap and the lever kept bouncing back to stage 3.

It is Rick Piper's model from the CBFS site
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Yeah I know that situation happens in real world. I suppose I meant how faithfully do our models follow that. :dunno:
I've never flown the Viscount, so I have no other answers. There are a few who fly it though, maybe someone else can help :)
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel Edwards
Comet
Comet

Post by Nigel Edwards »

I think flap 4 was to reduce landing rollout through higher drag; wasn't used in the air.
Things wasted to a pilot:

Runway behind you
Fuel in the bowser
Money in the bank

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That rings a bell. Fraser did very comprehensive notes on each panel, is there nothing in his documentation?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

FLAPS.

The flaps are electrically operated and are controlled by a lever on left side of the quadrant or pedestal and have five settings; Up, 43% for takeoff, 68% approach, maximum lift with minimum drag, 85% for landing and 100% for braking if required. A position indicator is in the top centre of the centre instrument panel, and is repeated on the port sill panel.

Maximum speed for flap operation 0- 43% 200kt IAS

Maximum speed for flap operation 43%-100% 152kt IAS

The flap lever is mechanically connected to the throttle levers so that if the flaps are selected to the 100% fully down position and any throttle is moved forward from the approximately a quarter open position, the flap lever will jump forward to the 85% position.

An amber Flap CB Tripped warning lamp on the left side of the pedestal will light if the normal flap motor trips out due to flap over-run or thermal or aerodynamic overload. Additionally the lamp will light if the Flap CB Trip/Reset switch is selected to trip or the Emergency Flap switch is set to Engage.

The emergency motor allows flap selection up to 68% and raising all the way up. Once the emergency system is engaged, reversion to the normal system in the air is not possible.
Maximum speed for operation of emergency flap – 140 kt IAS

Note that when using the emergency system due to an electrical failure on the main bus, the flap indicator will be inoperative.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage