When does an aircraft become a classic

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: When does an aircraft become a classic

Post by simondix »

Does it fit in with the term Classic British. Although I fly them I feel in the DC3,4 and Argonaut is stretching things. I wouldn't fly the Boeings although I did once.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thats the thing Simon... "Classic" means different things to different people. Certainly the good folk of Scotland would certainly say the Twotter is classic and has been the basis for many of the Highlands and Island services for a lifetime.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Actually flown the Twotter on the Barra route a couple of times and got a good picture of it landing there as my banner on FB which I took last October. Then using that criteria the Saab340 would be on the list as well.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I know, that's my point, its all subjective. I think if someone requests a new "Classic" then there is a. a demand for it and b. its fits the classic criteria in some way, then why not. I certainly wouldn't put the 340 as Classic, but I suppose it could be argued.

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I agree Ben. We should have a minimum requirement for both the 'British' and 'Classic' parts. The British part we have generally defined as British built or used by a British Airline, and the 'Classic' part, which is the question on which I brought up this topic.

But more than that, someone has to want to use it, and want it enough to do the research in terms of routes, bases and registration numbers.

Personally I also think it would require some flight sim model worth using. An example of which might be the Boeing 767, BA has retired all of there -300's so it would probably qualify but since there are no models I know of that I would want to fly in P3D v4 or v5 I would not propose adding it, but if someone else wanted it and was willing to do the research I would go along.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

On a side note, while I said I did not want to do the research, the other day I went into my collection of time tables and pulled out my 1997 BA world wide time table and started going through it looking to see if it had any 744 routes, and in fact it did, with many routes marked as using 747 or 744.

So I could not stop myself, I went through the time table and have compiled a spreadsheet with 123 legs extracted and am comparing that to our current routes to see what's different. There are some interesting routes there, like direct flights from EGLL to Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires.

There was one route that made me scratch my head, a direct flight from Manchester to Islamabad, not that there was anything wrong with that, except that it was the only BA flights using a 747 to either airport. So if I do add some 744 routes and aircraft, which unless there is an objection I think I will, I am not sure I will include that route as it would be disconnected from everything else.

BTW, There are a decent number of DHC-8 routes in that time table.
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

That was exactly my point about the Dash
Built originally by De Havilland, yes I know, Canada, but can't get more British than DH. Its used by British Airlines on British routes, but as Joe states, there needs to be a decent enough model to fly and some interest in wanting to use it.
Anyway I think extending 747 100/200 to the 744 routes would a good idea. Would do no harm anyway. I would like the idea of trying to incorporate the Manchester route. Might give me the incentive to pick a decent jumbo up and get a refresher TR
We flew back, direct from Bangkok earlier this year, OK, to Manchester. Nearly 13 hours 8) Don't think I could fly that on 1x rate :lol:
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I’ve certainly no objection to either. The Manchester one is interesting as I’m wondering if that was pre PIA direct flights? I’m pretty sure there’s a daily 777 PIA flight these days, so clearly demand was there.

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Yeah. It always seems to arrive same time as our flight. Takes at least an hour to get out of the airport
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Ok, I am going to start on the 744 routes, and will add a connector from EGLL to EGCC for anyone who wants to fly to Islamabad.
Joe Cusick,