When does an aircraft become a classic

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

When does an aircraft become a classic

Post by blanston12 »

I was wondering, when do we consider an aircraft a 'classic' that we can add to our fleet. Right now I think the newest aircraft in our fleet is the 757-200 that was introduced in 1982 and production ended in 2005, we acquired ours in 2009, 27 years after it was introduced and while it was still in service with British Airways. There are still 661 in service out of 1050 built (63% according to wikipedia).

The 747-400 was introduced in 1989 (31 years ago) and production ended in 2005 for the passenger version and 2009 for the cargo version. Out of the 694 built, 311 are still in service (44% also according to wikipedia)

So my question is, when do we consider it the 747-400 a classic worthy of adding to our fleet.

Now I don't think we would actually add it until someone wants to do the research on the routes and fly it and I am not ready to do that, but wanted to what our policy should be before we do so.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: When does an aircraft become a classic

Post by Vc Ten »

I suppose if the demand is there it should be judged on its merits. We already fly 747 and quite a few other non British which were deemed acceptable by the VA when things were more “strict". So a later variant using the same routes would seem OK to me Maybe a rolling minimum of 30 years to qualify??
To be honest if I had Pmdg 747 400 it would get used on 747 200 routes. I am sure the client wouldn't mind
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I used to use the JustFlight/CLS 747-200/300 for our 747 routes, but that does not work in P3D v4 (or v5) so the few times I recently used the 747 I have used the FSX default (yes it does work in v4 and v5). I agree its not great, but I have used worse payware in my time. And the FSA client accepts it.

I am waiting in anticipation for JustFlights 747 classic that promises a -100 and -200 and hopefully without PMDG prices and complexity, but they are taking there time getting it out.
Joe Cusick,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I've no objections. The BA fleet is about to face the chop, so yes, why not. :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Got me thinking that it's strange we don't have a Dash fleet The a/c type fit our criteria
I'm not sure, but I would imagine they replaced Hs748 on many routes.
Majestic do a very nice Dash 8 400 I would love an excuse to buy it :lol:
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

True the Dash 8 was introduced in 1983, the -400 was introduced in 1999 and is still in production.

The older versions are of course out of production: -100 introduced 1983, -200 introduced 1995, -300 introduced 1989.

Interestingly the DHC-8 started with de Havilland Aircraft Company of Canada, it was purchased by Bombardier in 1992, it was then purchased by Viking Air in 2018 and are renaming themselves "De Havilland Canada".

Anyways back to the main topic and my opinion as a pilot of our VA. I agree we should come up with a definition of what we consider a 'classic', introduced so many years ago? out of production so many years ago? I have no problem with the earlier versions as they are out of production and introduced more than 20-25 years ago. As for the -400 I will reserve an opinion until others have had there say.

Interestingly in our Pending Refurb/Route Data fleet we have:

13 x DeHavilland Canada DHC-6-300
7 x DeHavilland Canada DHC-7-100

We still need routes for them.
Joe Cusick,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Its an interesting discussion. I think Classic isn't necessarily something of a certain age. I think the fairly ad-hoc decision we have made have been pretty much on the money.
As for the Q400 (or the 400) personal opinion is its a no for me. Aircraft like the 757 in its original guise had still some steam powered gauges if I remember correctly. The BA 747's are all about to become baked bean cans (judging by where they've been parked up, I cant seem them being returned to service) but the dash 8 400... It just seems too current and not unique enough. By that rational those horrible little ATR's would be in there too, and they fall into the same group in my head as the Dash 8.

Just my own feelings on the matter... I wouldn't be flying either :lol:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I didn't know we actually had any Dash aircraft. I realise the Q400 is still a modern but the "flexibility" of FSA client would no doubt see it as just a Dash 8
Personally I like to simulate flying airliners to current procedures, which includes fmc and all that,
I try to fly A2A Connie correctly as it would 60 years ago but its just too much workload for one. Glad if comes with default GPS :lol: But really its whatever floats your boat.
Perhaps we knock up a few routes for the aircraft we already have.
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Well here is a picture of an early -300 cockpit and it looks like it has enough old gauges for us

I agree that the FSA client if flexible enough that it would accept a -400 as a -300 although probably not the other way around. As the -400 is a lot bigger than a -300 it won't be that efficient to use.

But if someone wants it, we need to get the routes, it disappoints me we those DHC-6 and DHC-7 in the fleet but they are rotting away in the pending refurbishment fleet.

I did find two British Airlines that used the Dash 8, Eastern Airways used the -300 and Flybe used the -400, my short search did not find any others.
Joe Cusick,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yes, Flybe have used the 400 in all guises I think.
The Twotter is still in use today. Loganair operate several in both the original 40+ year old DeHavilland and some of the new Viking ones which are only a few years old. Brymon operated the DHC 7 I think, on routes out of London City, but I’m not sure to where, and... I think... DanAir had one, or maybe two briefly, again from London City, to possibly Rotterdam?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9601515 ... ce=iOS+App

ImageImageImage