Power settings

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi John,

Thanks for that. To a certain extent this thread died of natural causes as there are so many variations on a theme especially with the accuracies, NOT, of the FS FDE's. Whatever works for individual pilots is fine, these are just a rough starting point. Happy flying.

Rgds

John

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Power settings

Post by Chris Trott »

johnhinson wrote:I'm new around here so excuse me for jumping in on an old item, but I believe I can correct these figures. The established cruise settings for a DC-3 are 30" MAP/2050 RMP.
John, the numbers are out of the manual for the R4D-6/DC-3"D" which uses Pratt & Whitney twin wasps instead of Curtiss Wright Twin Cyclones which is what the default models. The 30"/2050 is correct for CW engines.

This is also the power setting we use on the R4D-6 "Ready4Duty" N151ZE, an R4D-6S.

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Chris Trott wrote: John, the numbers are out of the manual for the R4D-6/DC-3"D" which uses Pratt & Whitney twin wasps instead of Curtiss Wright Twin Cyclones which is what the default models. The 30"/2050 is correct for CW engines.
Roger that, Chris, I wasn't going by FS models so much as what I have
seen in the real world which no doubt was of the engine type you say.
Thanks.

John

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

It comes down to the different prop used on the engines that changes the prop RPM setting, but I know from my few flights in "Ready4Duty" that the P&W engines really don't like it when you're using anything other than round hundreds of RPM (1000, 1100, 1200, etc). I don't know if it has to do with the prop governor or not, but a wierd vibration sets up in the engines and you get a pretty pronounced fluctuation in fuel flow when you try and use the Curtiss-Wright prop settings. It's kinda like the difference between the Hamilton-Standard Props and Aeroproducts props on the CV-580 or the two Hamilton-Standard prop designs used on the CV-240/340/440. They all have unique handling attributes and if you mix up which one you're operating, some odd things happen.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I know this is an old thread but are there any power setting figures for the Viking anywhere. I have seen the FSNav settings but cannot find the power settings.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

D A V E !

Hang fire Simon, I'm sure Dave would have heard that ;-)

John

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Simon

Viking 1B (Bristol Hercules 634) 1,690 hp

Empty Weight 23,000 lb
Gross Weight 34,000 lb (24-27 seats)
Admiral Class 36,712 lb (36 seats)
Initial Climb rate 1,500 fpm
Max speed 263 mph
Maximum Range 1,700 nm
Cruise altitude - 3,000 - 10,000 Feet
Max Altitude is 25,000 ft
Max Takeoff power 2,800 RPM +6.75 lbs boost
Max Climb power 2,400 RPM 3.5 lbs Boost, cyl temp 270, Oil 90 deg C(1 hour max) @ 130 mph
Max Continuous rich 2,400 RPM , 3.5 lb Boost, Cyl temp 270, Oil temp 80.
Max Continuous Weak 2,200 RPM, 0 lbs Boost, Cyl Temp 250, Oil temp 80.

Recommended Cruise power 2,300 RPM, 2.5 lbs boost @ 12-17,000 ft

Max cylinder temp for stopping engines 230 deg C.

Not sure how accurate these are as they are from a book i bought recently and have not even loaded Viking for 3 years.

Regards
Rick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

S T R E W T H..

I've just gone through all of this thinking it was a new thread! :lol: :roll: :brick:

The published FSNav figures are based on a climb setting of 2500/+4.5 and a cruise at 8000ft of 2400/+3.9.. and in accordance with information previously received from the maestro ;-) The Boost gauge isn't calibrated in lbs but it will show lbs if you leave the cursor over it. Basically.. 45inhg = 4.5 boost and 39inhg =3.9 boost. The VC1 trio were never the most complete panels ever released but there you go ;-)

EDIT.. having just read Ricks figures.. mine are NOT IAW are they. That said.. this is what I got off him when the aircraft was released and you have to go with what you have. I recently acquired Airlines and Airliners - Vickers Viking but have thus far only looked at the pictures :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That Viking books is good Dave but there's nowt technical as such in that series.

Still nice pics and about thirty paints I got from that :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Thankyou very much gentlemen. I will try both sets and see what comes out of it. I am doing the training flights at the moment so I presume it will cost the firm nothing. I will let you know what I get.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman