Power settings

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Power settings

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Matey

sorry wasn't trying to cause trouble but just found some better data recently whn i was Hawk book hunting.

Data could be wrong as i no longer have the stuff i used to build the Viking (still have the source files for models) but not the data stuff.

Regards
Rick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello mate :)

No sir.. didn't take it that way at all ;-) I knew we had next to no info at the time and what info you'd got was sketchy to say the least. If you remember.. I picked up a Valetta Pilots Notes some time after which is close but not really close enough as they don't have the same Hercules fitted :roll: I always keep my eye's open for Viking info and hoped the Airlines and Airliners book would carry a bit of tech info but as Garry said.. it doesn't. Gives a good history of the aircraft and kerzillions of COLOUR shots but nowt technical.. other than general stuff ;-)

Nice to see you're also keeping your finger on the pulse with the old girl :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Flew the EGBB to EGJJ route more or less using Ricks' settings. Did not adjust the MP till later in the flight so not entirely accurate. Used real weather and I used 319kg which was 11kg over the stated use. I climbed at 1000' per minute to 8000'. Cruised on the settings and got a groundspeed of about 170kts.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Did the EGJJ-EGMC training flight. Again used Ricks' power settings. Used 267kgs of fuel. Real weather and had 156-160KIAS. Gave me a 200-207kts ground speed. Flew at 9000' and climbed at 500' pm.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Simon :)

TBH mate.. I think you're flogging a dead'un going as high as 9000ft unless it's to avoid weather below you or to pick up a favourable wind at that alt. Your power will drop off the higher you go and with it your TAS :cpu:

ATB

ImageImage

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Dave B's original data will be better to fly to as thats what we had when i built the Viking.

sorry for making it more complicated :lol:

Regards
Rick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Maybe when you re-do the Viking with a suuuuuper VC that zillions will want to use.. we can use the new figures :o

I jest.. I do really :lol:

Simon..
Those fuel figures look about 10-11kg under mine mate so they're not far off ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Arh another Rib has gone :o

I'll be over 90 then :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Rick

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Be careful if you are using the figures against the add-on panel with the tiny gauges and the huge switchboard blocking your 1 o'clock view because if I remember rightly many of the gauges are incorrectly calibrated - including the airspeed. I don't think that panel was ever finished.

John

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Yes, I've got the fuel consumption down, I will reduce the height. See what happens on the next flight.
Simon