New Pilots Please Read..

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

New Pilots Please Read..

Post by DaveB »

Hiya All,

I just landed at Tripoli after a 5h33m run from Gib and was shocked to find our reputation had dropped to 103%. It seems that one pilot has been responsible for the drop and he has been PM'd.

Just to make it clear to you all..
DO NOT land at another destination (as you might in the real world) unless absolutely necessary or better still, by mistake!! This does not hit the airline reputation but you do end up very frustrated and your pilot rating hit!!

PLEASE turn off 'Detect Crash' when flying online. There are invisible objects in the flightsim world that you can hit and FlyNET will detect them and award you with a crash.. yet another blight on the airline reputation!

It is probably because the original threads have grown too long or perhaps that they're just not being read but these are the other things that you as a pilot will be fined for..

Landing Lights off below 1000ft. This applies to taxiing to and from the terminal. Rule of thumb.. Landing lights MUST be ON at all times below 1000ft and turned OFF at or below 10000ft.

Speeding on the Ground.
Your MAXIMUM allowed groundspeed unless on a takeoff roll is 25kts. Take extra precautions if you are using real weather as a 15kt tailwind during a taxi manoeuvre will be enough to get you a fine.

Exceeding the speed limit below FL100.
The MAXIMUM speed allowed below 10000ft is 250kts.

I will be keeping a close eye on FlyNET and should our reputation drop just one point lower, I will consider suspension for the pilot concerned.

Regards

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Read it again Chris and you'll see this is what I've said. If a pilot is taking notice of his ASI in a real weather situation.. what that says and what his groundspeed is will not be the same.

Edit.. Sri Chris, I deleted your post.

ImageImage

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Dave, you're not clear on that. You say that 25 knot groundspeed, but then you talk about a 15 knot tailwind with no reference to airspeed gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Sri Chris.. perhaps I am expecting too much :smile: I hope that my reply above clears up any misunderstanding :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Chris

Dave's statement on taxy speed seems clear enough to me. :wink:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Yes it isn't meant to be a "taxi-speed for dummies" you ARE allowed to think...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

All it needs is common sense and active reading

Perhaps Dave you should write it out like a legal document

That way it will cover everything from all angles.

No one would be able to understand it....but at least you would be right......

There again some folks are so eager to prove others wrong that wouldn't work either :sad:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well, yes. I know CT means well and I try very hard not to 'bite'. Thing is, there were a couple of glaring errors in the passage above that were not picked up and have since been corrected. Serves me right for writing it under a red mist!!

Anyway.. I like the term 'Active Reading' Garry :smile:

Tks all for your input :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

silver-fox
Meteor
Meteor

Post by silver-fox »

:dunno: would it not be a idea to make some sort of flight training for us new guys so we know wot were realy doing .i my self read the forums and think wot are they talking about with the terms that is used.like a flight school or something.it is a game ,some of use mynt like to be lurned from the good pilots that we have in this group
my thoughts on this anyway
yours ..
karl

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Karl,

That's a difficult one mate.. not impossible but difficult. ALL first flights are traumatic as are the second and third. We've all done the 'landing lights on/off' at some point.. we're all human :smile: The speeding on the ground and exceeding 250kts below FL100 I've avoided (although I have exceeded 250kts below FL100 once.. the PIC was my labrador.. I put the joystick down to eat my dinner and the Lab sat on the joystick pushing the throttle to full!! I bugged out and started again) :lol:

Thing to do is get into the habit of following a checklist. It doesn't have to be from the aircraft or for any particular aircraft but one simple one you follow with ALL of them :wink: This is the way I do it and is why I get away with falling foul of the FlyNET errors.. for the most part anyway :smile: There aren't many things you have to look out for so when you've done your first handful of flights, you find yourself automatically looking at your lights/height and your speed/height. If it helps, keep the 'penalities' written down and handy. I had a post-it note stuck to my monitor when I first started and it helped :wink:

Ultimately, we want you ALL to have fun. If you get stung for a landing light penalty, it stings.. it stings a lot but you have to keep your head down and keep on going. It took me days to get my landing light boob out of my system and it still pee's me off even now.. and thats around 1117 flights later!! :wink:

One thing with these penalties.. you can work your pilot rating back up to 100% in a reasonably short space of time. However, your flight rating remains dented forever. A bitter pill to swallow but nowt we can do about it I'm afraid.

ATB

ImageImage