New Pilots Please Read..

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

stegs
Trident
Trident

Post by stegs »

I think it was about my fifth flight in when I landed at the wrong airport. I blithely flew into Bournemouth knowing I'd everything right and fully expected a 100 percenter. Unfortunately I should have been in Bristol... :redface:
The route has got doublechecked ever since. :smile:

Steve

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Captain Pugwash »

well said dave, yes it takes a short while to get up to speed with all the bits and bobs of flynet. but that's the fun part of this program. just a note for the new lads. even after some 100 flights we can still bugger it up.
i flew a wonderful flight, no bing bong and a perfect landing on a small airfield. then to hear the dreaded bing. ? i had programed an incorrect airfield id and flew to the wrong airfield. so don't think it's only you that has gone wrong. it's happened to us all at some time.
i would try and fly the dh89, slow and easy to fly and get to grips with on flynet. good learning aircraft with plenty of good routes. just my thoughts.

Capt P
:pray:
Last edited by Captain Pugwash on 22 May 2007, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed Steve.. as I said, we're all human :wink:

I actually made my own ferry flight in a Skyvan and routed Blackpool to Glasgow. Was I shocked to hear the BONG when I landed... you bet I was. Glasgow was where I wanted to go.. unfortunately, I typed EGPH in for the flight so FlyNET was expecting me at Edinburgh :curse: How the pc didn't end up going through a window I don't know!! :lol:

Needless to say, I also double check the ICAO's on 'Check Booked Flight' now too :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

silver-fox
Meteor
Meteor

Post by silver-fox »

wot about a check list for all new members as in
starting at runway , lights on ,all flights below 10,000 so on so on till things sink in ,my first flight was a mess but not missed a beat since fuel still abit stuck on but working it out slowly
yours
karl :prayer:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Karl,

Well.. something along those lines could be posted in the new NOTAMs area. What do you think John??

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

What's wrong with Davids "FLYNet for Dummies, an illustrated guide to fly the CBFS-VA":

http://www.cbfsim.org/cb-bb/viewtopic.php?t=7267

The client layout has changed a bit, and the refuelling method as well, but apart from that it's all there, why not use it?
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's true Dan and it works. However, post-it notes on the monitor worked for me and were visible all the time :wink: Six of one.. half a dozen of another :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Landing Lights off below 1000ft. This applies to taxiing to and from the terminal.
Does it sting you on the ground Dave? :think:

I'm in the habit of turning them off at the end of the landing run with the pitot heats etc, unless it's dark, don't want to incur a penalty that way. :wink:

Cheers

Fraser

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Fraser..

I have a feeling it just might do as one of our new boys got copped doing just that. However.. I did once go hurtling down the runway thinking they were on and they weren't and I only got bonged once I'd taken off. For safety.. I keep em on all the time while on the ground though there is no penalty starting from cold.. turning on your batteries.. nav lights.. bcns.. then the engines.. then the landing lights prior to releasing the brake.

ATB

ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Fraser..

Further to the above.. I've just tried landing at Dyce and turned off the landing lights on passing the hold marker on the taxiway and didn't hear a bong. I DID switch my taxi lights on mind you :smile: Do all of our aircraft have taxi lights?? Can't remember now to be honest?? :roll:
EDIT.. Stupid question that as I know the Rapide doesn't have any!! :lol:
Will try running again and only switching the landing lights on just before liftoff.
ATB

ImageImage