VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

miken5000
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Real Time Acceleration

Post by miken5000 »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help getting the first training flight done, i've now completed two short flights

Now for a longer one - I know time acceleration is allowed ie *2, *4 , but are there any regulations governing this. I have checked some other more experienced pilots' flights, it seems like the "norm" is *4 on reaching cruise say over fl300, *2 above fl200. This would seem right as up to those levels pilots are busy with other jobs in the cockpit

Unless otherwise instructed I will keep to that kind of senario

Cheers

Mike :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Real Time Acceleration

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike :hello:

Nice to have the first ones out of the way isn't it :thumbsup:

Reference acceleration.. you can use the facility as you see fit mate. As long as the flight allows it (indicated by xX on the book flight page) you can use it when you like up to the speed indicated ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

On this subject, do people tend to use acceleration? I don't but just wondered what the general feeling/opinion is?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I normally fly in real time, but its one of those ones where, if real life interferes, its often handy to get where your going quickly :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Purely a personal thing ;)

Every hour you see on my sig is at x1. That doesn't mean to say I'm right and everyone who does use it is wrong. Needs must e t c :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

My vast total of 40 hours is at x1, but it has just been ingrained from my previous time with RAFv and some lesser Civil VAs. A slightly linked question, can you pause when flying with FS Airlines?

Thanks,
Paul

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I fly 90% of my flights at 1X, but occasionally on the really long flights, especially those over water, I may use time acceleration. I really can't justify trying to run my computer full out for 15 hours to get from Gran Canaria to Rio many days, so that's when it comes up, but I never use more than 4x.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Aint that right CT :lol: This is when it comes in handy having more than one pc but I'm with you on the sentiment :)

Paul.. the answer is yes. At any point of your flight from 'brakes off and roll' to parking brake on at the other end, you can hit the 'P' button :) It's something I don't like doing as I always fear it won't come back or something will go wrong but these fears are unfounded as I've never had a problem ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

miken5000
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by miken5000 »

Thanks for the replies, yep was good to get the first flights done

For many years I haven't used time acceleration, but then generally I keep my flights to less than 500 miles ( real world things get in the way! )

However, if longer flights then I save, and come back next session - where flight tracking is involved generally you can't save and pick up the next day, I have only come across one site which allowed this

As I really want to have all my flights recorded I may have to use it occasionally, but if so will keep to the self inflicted greater than fl200 rule

Cheers

Mike

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike :)

There is an alternative you can try when you're a little more confident.. use of the DIVERT facility.

I took a Viking from Nicosia to Baghdad on Saturday.. some 3hrs worth at just over 170kias and although I wanted to get back on Sunday, I knew I'd not have time. So.. I booked the Baghdad-Nicosia flight but planned Baghdad-Palmyra.. a suitable airfield enroute and one (importantly) which is in the FSA database.
I took off from Baghdad.. flew until 20-odd miles from my BOD then used DIVERT. FSA reports that you can now land anywhere (be careful of the anywhere.. anywhere in the database) so I made my planned descent into Palmyra. FSA automatically books the onward flight for you :) Everyone was happy and no penalty. This gave me 2 x 1.5hr flights instead of one 3hr flight.. the second of which I did today ;)

That didn't go quite according to plan but it's nothing to do with the DIVERT facilility or onward routing. I'd just touched down at NIC and wasn't happy with where I was so decided to abort the landing and go around to use an alternate runway. FSA has marked me for a taxi overspeed! This wasn't an overspeed.. it was an aborted landing so I've flagged it for review :)

Anyway.. think about using DIVERT. Of course, it's absolutely no use flying over water but can come in very useful to break a long flight up. Just factor in your fuel.. plan as if you're going all the way and don't take anymore at your diversion airfield. Though you'll use less during your descent, you have to consider the climb fuel for the onward leg if that makes sense.. 2 climbs to altitude instead of 1 ;)

EDIT: As an aside, the aborted landing at NIC was given back to me.. no taxi overspeed ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage