When you go down to Adis Abeba today...

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

When you go down to Adis Abeba today...

Post by TSR2 »

your in for a big surprise!

Lighting penalties! If your routed onto RW25 (either of them) they send you in over the mountains, in the dark. So I'm at 11000 feet ASL (ignoring ATC who are telling me repeatedly to descend, when it clearly isn't safe to do so. Next thing I hear is a "bing" you've not put your lights on. I went over a peak that had me less than 1000ft AGL. Bugger that, so anyway I decide to climb, now thinking that the FSA client uses AGL for the lighting penalties. "Bing" again as I pass over a valley (or something) that has me over 10000ft AGL within the space of a few minutes even though I'm climbing at 800ft/p. So there is no way I can have climbed 9000ft in 2 to 3 minutes.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: When you go down to Adis Abeba today...

Post by Chris Trott »

Just a refresher, the LL penalties are kinda complicated to deal with high altitude airports.

Lights must be on within 1000' AGL
Lights must be off above FL100 or 3000' AGL if ground is above 7000' MSL.

Anywhere in between (1001' AGL -> FL09999 or 1001' AGL -> 2999' AGL) the system doesn't care if they're on or off.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: When you go down to Adis Abeba today...

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks Chris. Its been a while since I've been down there and I got bitten last time too, I think a few years back, not helped by the fact it was dark and I didn't have any charts. Needless to say the Seychelles tonight there were no such problems :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage