Exhausted fuel?????

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Exhausted fuel?????

Post by Vc Ten »

Just landed at Birmingham on a flight in the Argosy from EGCC when i got penalised for exhausted fuel with around 3000kg on board :dunno: Asked for the flight to be reviewed and hope the penalty will be reversed Wont be flying the type for the va again just cant trust the systems working right in fsx, which is a shame as she flys well. It means she will remain off station for the forseable
Cheers
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Exhausted fuel?????

Post by TSR2 »

Never had that issue with the Argosy before mate, and all my Argosy are in FSX *-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Did any engines cut out Dale?

Our stats show that FSA seems to have recorded all the fuel correctly. Fuel loaded = 4,058 kg, used = 644 kg, remaining = 3,414 kg.
FSA may simply have made a mistake. There's been plenty of them over the years.

The Argosy model has nothing odd or special about its fuel system, it's bog standard FS.
I remember it does have some kind of linking of tanks to engines though and it's possible to isolate fuel and starve the engines.
I'd have to check the manual to say with more certainty.
Doubt it's any different in FSX though and Ben's opinion suggests it's not.

DM
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hiya all
No, all engines were running till shut down after parking brake set You need fuel in tip tanks or outer engine cut ( unlesss bypass is selected before they do) Found that out on a previous flight :lol: Not been able to restart the engines on the ground let alone in the air
Flew the flight below 10,000ft so as to not need to switch off the landing lights Clicking the switch off twice can bring them back on. You can use the crtl/shift L to satisfy fsa but would prefer not, or pop outside to check
The flight is still showing will be reviewed so we will see if there is any explaination
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dale :hello:

No.. I've never been able to restart the Argosy in FSX either mate so it's important to open the transfer valves TR1/TR2 - TR3/TR4 then close the outer tank pumps 1a/1b and 4a/4b before taking fuel from the client. Restart works fine in FS9 but I'm beggered if I can get it to work in FSX 8) The reason the outer engines cut is because the model is setup so that the engines take fuel from their own tanks as would be the case RW. Unless you're going longhaul.. you rarely need the additional fuel and the client fills the inners first :)

Use one of those CPT gauges I recommended for your landing lights. I use this one on the 2D panel..
gaugeXX=cpt.toggles.light.green!LandingLights, 47,422,14,14

You can actually click on the light to turn the landing lights on and off and you're never in any doubt what's happening. Green light on.. landing lights on. Green light off.. landing lights off ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dale,

I'm on my way to Bergan at the minute with a fairly low fuel load. One thing that did occur to me when I started was how did you load the fuel in FSA, simple or complex mode?

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Well the flight has been reviewed and now shows as a perfect flight, no explaination (didnt expect one :lol:) Unfortunately the va reputation has not been reinstated so will work at it tomorrow to return it to 120
Dave. Good point Ive been fitting landing lamp indicators to most of the models I fly It just swaps the bmp (on/off) by the status of the landing lamps in fsx Strange but its the same status that would toggle the switch bmp up/ down :dunno:

Ben. Think its the complex fueling i use Well that is I can fuel the individual tanks or any that the client will allow
As others have said if the tip tanks are not fueled the outer engines will fail as soon as you press fuel up, well as soon as the sim is unpaused Less you open the bypass valves before refueling
Thought i may try a few training flights in the model and see if it was just a one off. That way at least the va wont take a hit
Just one other niggle, :hide: why dont the landing lamps luminate the ground when viewed from the vc ? when they are fine when viewed from outside. Makes taxing in the dark interesing ;)
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dale,

Not sure on the landing lamps issue, I'll need to check, but given the age of the model, it might be one of these FSX isms with port overs from early versions of FSDS. I think (from memory) this was done in FSDS2.24 (I think it was started in 2003 and finished in 2004). It was certainly the longest development thread we had on the forum.

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

One small point there mate..

You shouldn't fuel with the sim paused whether it's FS9 or FSX. I'll take a look at the lights in FS9. Can't recall them not illuminating the ground but I only ever fly it in 2D ;)
I think the switches on the Argosy are probably like the Vanguards. The lights themselves have a 3 position switch.. up-off-down and a lamp on/off. I don't think FS cares much for this arrangement 8) After I got my first LL penalty with the Argosy, I fitted the warning lamps just to make sure ;)

EDIT: No.. the LL don't display in the VC in FS9 although they're fine in 2D. This will be down to the FSDS version as Ben mentioned ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hiya Mate :hello:
Usually do all the route, time, weather stuff on the splash screen then click on fly on the client and load the fuel then fuel up and fly before going back to the sim and pressing fly on that
With the rigmarole of having to start the sim by loading the argosy with the engines running I have to then bring up the task bar and go to windowed mode. Then i can see the client, load the fuel click fly, back to the sim, out of windowed mode ( by now the sim has paused anyhow ) unpause and bobs your uncle. Have to do something similar in just flights 737 as it ctd if you load it from scratch Seems to normally work ;)
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image