VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Private Aircraft

Post by saltysplash »

Hi folks

Could anyone explain what is entailed in purchasing your own Aircraft?

If for example I was to purchase a chippy, I understand I'm liable for cost such as fuel etc, and that its way cheaper just to buy a ticket but how do you book flights?

Are there any storage costs when its idle and any airport costs?

Is a Type Rating required before you can fly it?

Money in the bank and it needs spending :lol:

Geoff

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Private Aircraft

Post by Scorpius »

As well as the purchase cost you will have to find;

Fuel, oil and any parts required by an AD
Parking fees
Landing fees
50 hr/6 month checks
Replacement engine fund
Insurance
Annual inspection

You can easily rack up £10000 here. :-O How about joining a group?

As to type rating remember the interfering EU has changed the requirements for pilot ratings and unless you have an old CAA licence it will mean further hours. In any case I would not fly a chippie without some form of conversion training.

Nev

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

Scorpius wrote:As well as the purchase cost you will have to find;

Fuel, oil and any parts required by an AD
Parking fees
Landing fees
50 hr/6 month checks
Replacement engine fund
Insurance
Annual inspection

You can easily rack up £10000 here. :-O How about joining a group?

As to type rating remember the interfering EU has changed the requirements for pilot ratings and unless you have an old CAA licence it will mean further hours. In any case I would not fly a chippie without some form of conversion training.

Nev
We are talking about the VA are we not ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

You're liable for fuel and maint. As far as requiring a rating.. are you thinking of buying something you don't have a VA rating for? Been a while since I've flown any of my personal fleet but I can tell you that the VA do not operate all the types I own ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

I was thinking of a Chipmonk or a DH89 depending on costs but im not sure how it all works,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Ive got a private chippy on the va Had it based in Liverpool for a while. Then when I had a spare week I flew it down to Malta :lol: As Dave says You pay for fuel you use, and when the hours rack up, maintenance also. Dont think there are any ratings requirements, If you can buy it, you can fly it. To take a flight you need to be at the airport your a/c is hangared. Then by clicking on hangar in the Crew Center, you can file a flight plan. I think if I remember right when you start the client you just click fly which lets you check / fill up fuel Then fly again as normal. Remember that the normal penalties are still active Lights, taxi speed etc. Dont think you get pinged though for landing at a different airport than the one filed Not tested that out though :lol: Its quite good for keeping you diciplined when you fancy a change from the revenue routes/flights But again as Dave says most of us have more models in our sim than for sale on the va
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

Vc Ten wrote:Ive got a private chippy on the va Had it based in Liverpool for a while. Then when I had a spare week I flew it down to Malta :lol: As Dave says You pay for fuel you use, and when the hours rack up, maintenance also. Dont think there are any ratings requirements, If you can buy it, you can fly it. To take a flight you need to be at the airport your a/c is hangared. Then by clicking on hangar in the Crew Center, you can file a flight plan. I think if I remember right when you start the client you just click fly which lets you check / fill up fuel Then fly again as normal. Remember that the normal penalties are still active Lights, taxi speed etc. Dont think you get pinged though for landing at a different airport than the one filed Not tested that out though :lol: Its quite good for keeping you diciplined when you fancy a change from the revenue routes/flights But again as Dave says most of us have more models in our sim than for sale on the va
ATB
Dale
Cheers Dale

I might give it a whirl in time but I dont have a Chipmonk yet so will watch the thread on the Just flight version with interest

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

Sorted.

I didnt realise Rick Pipers Chippy was suitable for FSX so its downloaded and seems to work fine.

Splendid Job :cheers: