FS9 & FSX on same PC

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

FS9 & FSX on same PC

Post by adysmith »

I know several of the folk here have both FS9 and FSX so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have both, and each has its own, registered, FSUIPC.

If I run FSX it seems to completely mess up all my axis assignments, button assignments etc in FS9, despite the vast majority of them being the same for both sims. :help:

I run just about everything (except PAN in external and view L/R internal) through FSUIPC with the basic FS yoke detection turned off.

Any ideas?

Ady
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: FS9 & FSX on same PC

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Ady, :hello:

I have FS9 & X on C:\ without any trouble.
My FSUIPC is unregistered, so I only run those basic bits that look after themselves.
All I can therefore confirm is that it looks like FSUIPC is causing the trouble. :stupid:

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Don't forget that there are two different versions of FSUIP, version 3 for FS9 and version 4 for FSX.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. I don't have FS9 on this PC (only X) but I have both on my old XP machine. However, I don't use FSUIPC on that one for any yoke/stick assignments so perhaps this is why I don't have problems. This said.. I have had problems with 2 versions living on the same pc before.. even though both were on different drives. I didn't use FSX much in those days so I binned the FSX version.
Sri that's not much help Ady. You should be able to have both installed and running without difficulty but this doesn't always work.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

DaveB wrote:You should be able to have both installed and running without difficulty but this doesn't always work.
I know many (including myself) who are running both without a problem.
George

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

GHD wrote:Don't forget that there are two different versions of FSUIP, version 3 for FS9 and version 4 for FSX.
I have 3.999z2 in C:\FS9 and 4.928 in C:\programfilesx86\microsoft games\fsx, I just can't figure out why it gets screwed up.

I could be barking completely up the wrong tree, it might be nothing to do with FSX!
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Well, Ady,
Due to past problems with add ons having trouble finding FSX buried deep in the tree as you have, I have always installed into C:\FS9, C:\FSX etc etc. Unless a new programme specifically requests a location, all mine go straight to C:\. :cpu:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If you are running Windows Vista or later, installing FSX or FS9 in the default program file directories (x86 or otherwise) can cause problems for some addons, particularly were they use custom dll or exe files. While I cant say for sure that this is causing the issue in your case, it seems a likely culprit. This is because those directories are given special protection by the Windows OS to stop nasties trying to run code that wasn't put there properly.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I shall studiously avoid FSX (because it doesn't run well on this PC) until I buy me a brand spanking super duper mega fast one in October, than try both in C:\ and see how it works.

Thanks for all the comments.
ImageImage