FSX Not Responding

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: FSX Not Responding

Post by adysmith »

Does it then matter what other programs I start and in what order?

I do feel like it has been a backwards going from my five year (WIN 7 64 bit) old PC running FS9 with
FS Realtime
Active Sky
FS Commander
FS Navigator
FS Airlines

to a very high spec PC (still WIN 7 64 bit) with FSX Gold which suffers these problems!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Well the High Priority didn't solve the problem, standard ten minute "not responding" pause over northern France en route from Bergamo back to Bournemouth, then a total sim crash five minutes later - First time it has done that!.
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Pity about that :worried:
One of the theories I had when the the not responding was thick and fast was it was temperature related. I would guess that if the CPU got over temp the whole lot would shut down not just fsx, but even running a desktop fan up against the air vents definitely helped. I changed the CPU cooler to a super duper one which did seem to help a lot. I also fitted the case out with as many fans as it could take. The downside of this manifested itself some time later when the main display kept shutting down. Turned out the fans were pulling the 12 v from the power supply down causing the GPU to suffer
I used to monitor the CPU temp during a flight and if a freeze happened I could see if the CPU temp had climbed. If I could keep the CPU below 40c generally the flight would be freeze free. However it was not 100% until I started setting the priority to high
Hope you sort it
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The not responding is nowt to do with hardware guys.

Have a look in the aircraft panel folder or your main gauges folder for dsd_xml_sound3.gau. Remember there will likely be more than one version of it on your system as different developers put the gauge in different places, some in the main gauges folder, others in the aircrafts panel folder, others elsewhere. Use the search function in windows explorer.

You could try simply renaming the instances from dsd_xml_sound3.gau to dsd_xml_sound3.old. Some sounds may not work, but the freezing may stop.

I've replaced the gauge with dsd_fsx_xml_sound available from Dougs site http://www.douglassdawson.ca/index.html But remember if you do this you will need to edit the panel.cfg for each aircraft that uses the gauge, so that it references the new gauge and not the old one. I can't remember if the freezing stops by simply renaming the gauge or if I had to replace it with the FSX one for the freezing to stop. Suffice to say the sounds that rely on the gauge will only work if you replace it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I only appear to have one instance of that file, in the Vickers Vanguard panel folder, yet the freeze happens with the vanguard, QW 146/RJ series and ConcordeX.

I have checked the panel files for the others and there is no reference to this file.

Ady
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

What OS are you running?

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ady's running Win7 64bit Ben ;)

This sound gauge is an odd one. You may not even have that gauge installed more than once but another.. renamed copy might be there. I had issues with the JF 146 which kept reporting a gauge problem. I didn't even know I had the gauge but CLS had renamed it. Fortunately.. DD found the problem and sorted it :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yes mate, its entirely possible that someone is using the same gauge with a different name. Or even a different gauge that has the same issue. I used to fine the problem most prolific in the Trident, usually when ATC was making a call. I did switch off the ATC audio calls at one point which helped, but it did still crop up and got worse as the flight went on, i.e. the delay would get longer before the flight resumed, until ultimately the sim crashed, usually when I was about 5 miles from home on a 4 hour flight. :lol:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Brilliant, where do I go from here?

The pauses are usually pretty close to ten minutes in length, if I get more than one in any flight they are the same length.

Only rarely does it cause a total sim crash.

Ady
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

My pause problem appears to have resolved itself.

While updating ASN (Active Sky Next) it told me that something (and I REALLY should have paid attention to what) was not configured correctly in FSX and - could cause FSX to not respond for up to ten minutes while it loaded complicated scenery/weather - would I like ASN to configure that now?

You bet your sweet wossname I would!

Just taken Concorde to Kennedy without a single pause!!! :) :) :) :agree: :agree: :guinn:
ImageImage