Hmmmm, fuel required

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Hmmmm, fuel required

Post by adysmith »

When I did my TR flights in the VC10 I came up with a rough guide to how much fuel to load, first few revenue flights and this proved to be very conservative so I started looking at how much fuel had been used on previous trips of the sectors I was flying then added a bit for the wife and kids then a reserve of about five tonnes.

Hong Kong to Bombay (Mumbai) loaded about 36 Tonnes, it was nowhere near enough, had to divert to Calcutta!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Hmmmm, fuel required

Post by DaveB »

That leg shows around 33.5k used in stats for the twice its been flown. Were you running into a head wind? Been a long time since I've flown the 10 but I seem to remember 7t per hour as a rough guide.
Atb
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Could have been the headwind, but even allowing for that I don't think I would have had a lot to spare ;)

Off to KAI TAK now with a forecast 100 knot tail wind at altitude :excited: :welldone:
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Now thats what you like to hear :thumbsup:

I always found crossing the Atlantic in the 10 disturbing with fuelburn as up to a certain point in the flight.. you were going to get wet feet :lol: It was always a relief to reach the stage where sufficient fuel had burned and rpm started to drop/range started to increase. Good luck on the flight to Honky Fid :thumbsup:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!