VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Diyceejay
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Have I sold out?

Post by Diyceejay »

I need some counselling.....
Trying to fly EGPF - EGCC in DM's awesome 510ED on fsx....using trad nav.
The DCS VOR is no longer a VOR, so the SRD route T256 DCS L612 LAKEY route worked fine until I left NORBO.....then I tracked NGY on the UT256. Then all DCS now provides is a DME! I found this tricky.
I then tried to track the ROSUN2A STAR by aiming for LAKEY.....but the TNT VOR wasn't in range to get to LAKEY reliably. I wasn't happy with the resultant off course route I took.
I then committed an atrocious act - I planned the route on the GPS in fsx, with the intention of switching to the GPS next time I do the route.
Am I being too purist and pedantic, or should I just go with it and accept I'm in the 21st century?
Please share any similar guilt trips and thus alleviate my sin..... :'(

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: Have I sold out?

Post by adysmith »

The vast majority of 21st century routes do not rely on ground based navaids, although numerous DMEs are used for IRS cross checks.

Unless you can get 1980s (or probably earlier) scenery with all the old fashioned VORs and NDBs you will have to accept modern aviation and navigate by GPS or similar .

Even with older scenery you will struggle to find details of the “old” airways which relied on them.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Re: Have I sold out?

Post by Elvis Presley »

I flew the old Imperial horseshoe route using a 1944 book by plotting the maps in it as best as I could into the default FSX route planner. Completed that, though frankly it was all turning a bit too much into something that began to resemble hard work, rather than fun. My bad I guess but there it is.
I've been a bit absent recently as I have been preparing for and training myself up on a DC10-30. New (1801) Airac, RL routes in the FMC via Simbrief from Flightaware, valid (and current) info outside of FSX on Littlenavmap - flying this thing is just so relaxing by comparison to the above in the old Argo...
Jim