Dead Mouse

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Dead Mouse

Post by adysmith »

Well, technically my mouse isn't dead, when I start my laptop (HP Elite Book Win7 64 bit) the plug in /usb mouse will usually work, but then some while later, at a random time of the PCs choosing, it will suddenly stop working. No amount of unplugging and replugging will get it working again.

This is regardless of which mouse I use, I have tried at least three.

The mouse pad still works fine, but it is very hard to fly FSX using a mouse pad as a joystick (I can fly it fine using the proper mouse as a joystick).

Any intelligent folk out there got any ideas on this one??
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Dead Mouse

Post by blanston12 »

Wireless mouse perhaps? have you checked the battery?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

You say you have tried several mice and I guess you've tried all the USB sockets. I would try another USB device, say a pen drive in a different port to the mouse, If the mouse stops working, check if you can still read the pen drive. If not I would suspect the USB hardware is failing. When the mouse fails does Windows device manager show anything untoward??
Have you tried disabling the touch pad, probably in the bios, it may be causing conflicts with the plug in mouse.
Could be a driver fault but the USB drivers are pretty basic and most devices are generally happy to work with what Windows installs
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Apart from the suggestions above, the only other thing I can think of is make sure your USB power saving is turned off.
Dave G.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

If I remember rightly it first happened when I plugged a USB memory stick in (to copy Nicosia scenery into FSX). If it does it this afternoon I will try another USB device and see what happens, and check Device Manager as well.

I doubt it is a conflict with the mouse pad, has been working fine for a couple of years together (and I'm not keen on playing about with the BIOS, if I disable the mouse pad and then the USB mouse fails I have got no pointing device left :doh:

Wouldn't imagine USB power saving is enabled, as I say it has worked well for a couple of years, I wouldn't even know where to check for that.

Sometimes it seems to be when I move the laptop that it stops working, is that likely to be related??

Ady
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Would bother me that it seems to stop working when moved. Bad connection inside or cracked motherboard ?? :-O Has the lappy been dropped or knocked about ?
I hate pulling laptops apart, so many screws and the plastic on the verge of snapping trying to prise at the two halves. Knocked one of the arm of the chair some time ago and broke the screen. Pulled it apart and replaced it, only to find it had goosed the hard drive as well. Pulled it to bits again to replace drive. Now the thing won't charge the battery, so now its just mains powered :lol:
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Something to consider if it is wireless is that Bluetooth or 2.4GHz wireless transceivers can get interference on high speed USB ports. Try using a standard USB port. If it’s a hardwired usb mouse, the HP Elitebooks had an issue many years ago with the touch pad when an alternate pointing device was connected. I seem to recall it was as fixed with the alps touchpad driver update from the HP website (and / or possibly firmware).
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Cheers for the info guys.

I have found a workaround:-
Make sure mouse (it's a USB) is plugged in before starting laptop.
If it then dies, pause FS, close lid, wait until it has gone to sleep, unplug, plug mouse back in again, open lid and resume.
That, so far, always works.
ImageImage