VA Crew Room

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Ben Watson wrote:Guys, I've been thinking about this, and maybe we're over complicating things.

If you want to fly from A to B and back, but only make the first leg, and then decide you want to park up for the night, there is nothing stopping you booking the return leg on flynet. That then alocates the aircraft to you to fly when you next log on.

Easy realy. That way. If you have only done one leg, you can leave the aircraft for someone else, or if your sure you'll be flying it again, just book the next leg before you quit for the night? :worried:
All good and well but you may not have time to do the flight and if it's been booked, you'll get fined.
It's all getting a bit long winded..... check this, check that.... I feel my suggestion is a simple, effective solution.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The simplest solutions generally turn out to be the best ones and I think Ben's suggestion is just that. We have 24hrs to take the flight which, under most circumstances.. should be enough.

[edit] Chris's point taken too. Why is nothing as easy as it could be! :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
Last edited by DaveB on 05 Jun 2006, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Fair comment CB. Maybe John can give us more details about the "fine" thing. I've noticed some of the other VA's seem to book their flights a day or so in advance.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I didn't know about the 24hr thing Dave, but it does seem fair. If you don't do your next leg within the 24hrs then its fair for someone else to fly it. :worried:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Perhaps Ben, perhaps :wink: All it really means is that you will have to plan your flight with a little more care rather than just grab an aircraft and fly it to a destination. After all.. an aircraft sitting on the tarmac at Rome for a day isn't earning any money :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

But if you don't get the time, you'll get left with no aircraft to fly back.

Those of us that do shift work (like me) may not get a chance to do a return flight for several days.

I'm really not keen on that and I'll prob just end up spending most of my time flying for simairline.net, just so not to have the "must get back" issue.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yep.. and understood Chris. I wasn't saying that the current suggestion was foolproof and this is an obvious downside. If it gets to the stage where you want to fly but know you don't have the time to get back and by not doing so, you may be faced with having to buy a ticket.. it could deter folk from flying in the first place and that is undesireable.

Ben.. from Fly the Flynet Way..
This booking is yours for 24 hours. If you cancel or don't fly the booking within 24 hours you will personally have to compensate the passengers from yuor own funds.

ATB

ImageImage

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

I thought that the 24 hours thing was a gentlemans agreement between us lot? Does Flynet actually free-up flights that haven't been flown in 24 hours?

Ben, the fine I got when I had to cancel a flight (PC problem) was $383, but that was just a short hop from Liverpool to Aldergrove.

I think I'll stick to the Budgie for a while, nobody seems to be flying them at the moment and it is a lovely little beast......although I promise to take the 1-11 home first :smile:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Charlie Bravo wrote:But if you don't get the time, you'll get left with no aircraft to fly back.

Those of us that do shift work (like me) may not get a chance to do a return flight for several days.

I'm really not keen on that and I'll prob just end up spending most of my time flying for simairline.net, just so not to have the "must get back" issue.
Maybe the solution is a compromise then. CB might have an A/C that is "his" so that he can do his return leg when it suits. (I'm the same CB, some weeks I have hours to play with others I'm not here at all.) But for those using the "pool" aircraft, if you want to do the return leg, book it, else someone else will be free to fly it for you.

How does that sound?

ImageImageImage

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The fine is a FlyNET thing. If you book a plane and don't fly within 24 hours, then you loose the plane and get fined, and it's pretty steep, usually about 2 or 3 flights worth of your pay.

Also, I like having the 24 hour rule even if you don't book it. I don't book flights until I know I can fly. Because I'm an on-call worker, I can't plan to do anything, thus I don't book a flight until I know I can do it. I would expect that other pilots would have the respect and courtesy to not take the plane in a few hours after I land and thus I wouldn't have to risk any of my money to book a flight.

Also, Ben, it may be monopoly money, but if I go broke, guess what - I have to sign up again and start all over. That's not something I look forward to. I shouldn't have to go broke becuase someone else wants to fly a flight on a whim and chooses not to give a modicum of courtesy to the last guy who flew the airplane.