VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Arriving at EGLL...

Post by DanKH »

...can be pretty scary!

The other night I flew the last leg of the EGLL-FAJS-EGLL route with G-ASGI. from LIRF to EGLL.

All went nice and well until I closed in on EGLL.

Having my AI set to 100, and a heavy clouded weather, my FPS was reduced to poor 5! On top of that, while turning on to the beam for RWY 27L a Speedbird 757 roared in front of me just a few feet away. No ATC warning, no nothing, luckily he was at good speed, and I was at my slow 160 so he just passed me. That sure made me awake!
He landed in front of me and you all know how "quick" AI is to leave the RWY, so I was told to abort my landing, but the other episode still sat in me, so I took the chance and neglected.
Slamming down the old girl at -197 fpm (!) full reversers and speedbrakes at once, manged to steer a little left of the center-line in order to bleed off speed behind the 757, and while I passed him he just slipped his tail overt the border..phew!.... Ended off with a nice SLOW taxi roll to almost the other end of the airport......

Guess it's time to implement AISmooth.....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Iknowyour pain...try getting a Budgie into Gatwick! :curse: Ive been bounced so many times by 737s that Im thinking of arming meself! :axe: I also take an extra 500kg or so of fuel so I dont end up like I did on my first FlyNET flight...on vapour and stating my fourth go-around :roll: