Dungeness Power Station, etc (FSX)

Specifically but not exclusively for VA pilots.. details of recommended addon scenery that cover VA destinations.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Dungeness Power Station, etc (FSX)

Post by DavidK »

As it sits on that bland piece of land poking out into the Channel, one UK landmark I've long thought was probably worth including in the default FSX scenery is Dungeness Power Station. It would be noticeable near the start of a climb or toward the end of descent over the area.

So, I finally went in search of any scenery including it -- hopefully free or donation-based -- and think I hit the jackpot here. It's described as "FSX Scenery Objects for SE UK Part 1" but it's the only part compiled. Nonetheless, it's free and includes features other than the power station such as a wind-farm nearby, some piers, etc. Flying to EGMD Lydd, I made a couple of low passes around the power station and wind-farm and it looks like good quality work.

David K

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Dungeness Power Station, etc (FSX)

Post by DaveB »

Hi David :)

Yes.. there's a lot of stuff over there which can be used to brighten up FSX. Beware of the refineries though.. FSX stutters around Soton a wee bit with Trevs airfield on t'other side of the river and Pompey just beyond. That said.. I have a gallon of AI shipping doing it's thing around there too as well as Old Portsmouth aerodrome :worried:

Check this place out too if you don't have it already.. http://www.playhorizon.co.uk/forums/vie ... php?t=2761

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

DaveB wrote:Yes.. there's a lot of stuff over there which can be used to brighten up FSX. Beware of the refineries though..
Before reinstalling FSX some months back, I had found and installed "uk_refineries_fsx" by Gerry Winskill, but, because I don't recall seeing much of them, I haven't (so far) reinstalled it.
I have a gallon of AI shipping doing it's thing around there too as well as Old Portsmouth aerodrome :worried:
Since they supposedly slow the simulation down significantly (how's that for some alliteration?...!) I have the road and shipping transport levels set to near-zero here in FSX. I can't recall the last time I saw something on water... Might be worth boosting the shipping (but not road vehicle) level to see what happens..?
Check this place out too if you don't have it already.. http://www.playhorizon.co.uk/forums/vie ... php?t=2761
Thanks -- I'll sign up and take a look anon.

David

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi David..

Yep.. AI of any sort will help slow things down and as there are 3 controllable types in FSX.. this gets worse if the settings are all high. My road traffic is at a suitably low level and 'flying' traffic isn't overwhelming but my shipping is higher than perhaps it would be. A downside is that to see even slightly realistic looking sea, this punishes FR's a heck of a lot as there are large areas of 'moving' scenery but as most of my FSX flying is to and from shipping of some sort, it's something I have to put up with :) It all depends on the type of flying you do and what you want to see. ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I just wish someone would design a useable Silverwings and Goldenwings for FSX then I would use it a lot more.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks
simondix wrote:I just wish someone would design a useable Silverwings and Goldenwings for FSX then I would use it a lot more.
Simon -
I do have a fully-working, and user-configurable, Time-Machine framework mechanism,
which allows date-dependent display of sceneries and traffic,
(works for all traffic type files).

Its a batch file
which you'd run before launching FS9/X.

I'll be releasing publicly in Q1 2011.

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Great to hear! Hopefully it'll catch on and we'll see people building specifically for it and those who've already released "classic" scenery will be more tempted to continue. :)

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Thanks for that HU. I have justinstalled the FSX tuneup so looking forward to using it a bit more. Good luck with it.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman