Alaska & NW Canada scenery recommendations please

Specifically but not exclusively for VA pilots.. details of recommended addon scenery that cover VA destinations.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Indeed AFCAD affects the elevation at which runways,taxiways et al are presented, but not the 3d scenery or models, you can find yourself with an error whereby the afcad is at one elevation while the 3d models or terrain are floating above or below.

For Alaska, most use either Eddie Denney's mesh or FsGenesis

For BC,Canada, Holger Sandmann

Holger's Glacier Bay,Misty Fjords and Vancouver mesh/scenery will work with either of those packages, IIRC Ultimate Terrain and Raimondo Taburet use a different source file or compilation method, so you end up with errors (its' been a while since I did 'bush' flying) .

If you end up with problems with the 'flatted' area at your favourite airport,it's easy enough to create a 'new' flatted area youself, use a little program called FSTFlatten, its' free from the usual places.

Hope this helps

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Paul K wrote:Thanks Peter. You say you wouldn't buy UT...is that because you don't like it for some reason, or simply have no inclination to own it anyway ?
No, I wouldn't buy it because it has caused havoc all over the FS world by conflicting with just about everything. There is no way it is getting into my machine. This is just a personal view after a lot of beta testing and seeing developers having to move things about after they are released just to suit UT. I just prefer not to put UT into my machine and I make no adjustments to my scenery for it :smile:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

NigelB...thanks for that. I've got AFCAD, so if I find problems I'll see if it can sort things out. By the way, I found a tips and tricks file for AFCAD - if you are interested, the Avsim file name is afcadtrt.zip

Pete ( Motormouse)...thanks for those recommendations. I've found Eddie Denney's meshes at Avsim, and though they are of FS2002 vintage ( and therefore possibly older than Raimondo Taburet's ) if the majority use them, who am I to argue with the majority ? I'll download them today and see if they are an improvement. Thanks for the other info too.

Peter McCleland, thanks. Its a shame, because that UT package looks perfect for what I need. :sad:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. there you go Paul :lol: Things should'nt be this difficult should they :lol:

I can only speak as I find and as such, can report I've had none of the frightening disasters Peter has mentioned. I know that Peter has absolutely gallons of addon scenery in the Alaskan area (as do many who fly there regularly) whereas I only have Peter's MCL Field so the chances of me getting these conflicts are very slim.. hence the reason I don't have any :wink:

I certainly couldn't put hand on heart and profess UT Canada/Alaska is the best scenery for that 'complete' area but it is the only one I know of that does cover Canada/Alaska in one package. If you intend to spend a lot of time there and buy/download as much as you can fit into it.. then I'd be cautious and note Peter's words :smile: It all depends on what you're gonna be doing mate :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Dave, yes, thats the problem - it seems the ideal solution, as it covers the exact area I'm interested in all in one go. Thing is, I too might accumulate gallons of add-on scenery if I stick with my intention to enhance that region, and may well end up with same problems as Peter.

:think: :think:

In the meantime I'll search Avsim and Allnodes for Holger Sandmann's files, along with all the others mentioned here. There's a lot to be going on with. I'll also get Peter's McLeland Field, if he doesn't mind my C-46 dripping oil on his taxiway. :wink:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Just to pour some more confusion into your head, you might also check FScene or do a search on Ruud Faber ....

There you go enough to chew on now ... :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Dan..

I think Ruud's textures (and that's all they are Paul) are designed to work with the default mesh so nice as they are, they're not the whole story.

Incidentally.. have you noticed how similar the FSX textures are to FScene (probably not as you don't do payware do you) :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Ahh... conspiracy :lol: I love it... :cool:

No you're right I don't do payware .... :angel:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Motormouse wrote:Can't help but promote the little outfit of which I'm a 'founder member'

http://www.avsim.com/bfu/ (look under 'scenery')

and I'd also recommend a look here

http://www.timberwolfaviation.com/downloads/index.php

and there's some nice freeware fsgenesis mesh too

If you get Misty Fjords, there's some add-on's here

http://www.mistymoorings.com/

and if you really want to cover Alaska, look here

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004/alaska.php

ttfn

Pete
By 'eck Pete, they're good sites. I already had the bottom one, but the others are excellent too and absolutely ideal for what I want. Thanks a lot. :smile:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Motormouse wrote:Indeed AFCAD affects the elevation at which runways,taxiways et al are presented, but not the 3d scenery or models, you can find yourself with an error whereby the afcad is at one elevation while the 3d models or terrain are floating above or below.

If you end up with problems with the 'flatted' area at your favourite airport,it's easy enough to create a 'new' flatted area youself, use a little program called FSTFlatten, its' free from the usual places.
Pete
Ah, yes thanks for adding that! Now I think I recall using FSTFlatten or something similiar to flatten the airport area first, then I used AFCAD and set the elevation to the same as the flatten elevation.

Pauk K - Thanks for the AFCAD tips and tricks tip - I already have it and the rest of the tips and tricks series - (about 24 files) with a lot of great information.