Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Multiple screen display FSX

Post by Airspeed »

Hi All,
I finally attached my old flat screen as no.2 screen.
When I open NVIDIA control panel, it appears on screen 2.
NVIDIA control panel easily finds them and identifies them as 1 & 2.
Wallpaper appears on both screens, and I can drag desktop icons from 1to 2.
The mouse will disappear off the right of 1 and appear on the left of 2, but not off the left onto 2.
FSX starts ok, but slower than usual.
Using these two screens, I want to use 1 as forward view, and 2 as port window view, physically left of the main screen.
I open a new window, being view out of port cockpit, but can only drag it across the main screen, not onto 2.
I know that many of you have multiple displays, so would somebody please tell me where I've messed up?
Is there a special section in NVIDIA to tell FSX that there are two screens? I can't see anything in the programme specific section.
If I get this going, how do I then introduce a third screen, so I can look right as well?
Thanks for reading.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Multiple screen display FSX

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I don't have FSX running at the moment so this is from memory and be be a bit inaccurate especially as I've not used FSX in a while as I've been busy in other sims (non flight sim related) recently.

What you need to do is to make the pop-up windows 'float' instead of being part of the main window and then you can drag them off to the second monitor.

When you have a pop-up window open (i.e. GPS or radio stack) you need to right-click on it and you will get a list of options. One of those items says something like 'Undock Window' or 'Detach Window' or something like that. You will know when you have selected the correct option as you will get the typical Windows border along the top edge of the pop-up with the 'X' in the upper right corner.

Once you have that border you can left-click on it and drag the window onto the second monitor.

Be aware that if you open a new view instead of a pop-up (i.e. an external view if the main view is the VC and vice versa or a second VC view as you mentioned) then expect your FPS to halve as you are basically running two main screens at the same time.

As to a third monitor I can't help you there as I've never set one up. It used to be the case that you had to buy an expensive piece of hardware to do it (TripleHead2Go) but I believe it is now possible via the Nvidia panel. Once you get a third monitor set up moving the FSX windows would be exactly the same.

HTH.

EDIT: I just had another thought too, I am not 100% certain but I think you may have to be in 'Windowed' mode and not 'Full Screen' in order to drag the windows onto the second monitor
Larry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 16:07
EDIT: I just had another thought too, I am not 100% certain but I think you may have to be in 'Windowed' mode and not 'Full Screen' in order to drag the windows onto the second monitor
That is correct, a bonus for some (me included) is in windowed mode you get a fps boost for some reason. Also use a little free tool found at Avsim called pseudo_full_screen.zip. This fools the PC into thinking the sim is as the zip describes. Then you can do all sorts on the other monitors e.g. have a moving map like Plan-G, planning tools, or surfing the WWW. Now you do not have the aggro of ALT/Enter to access these things momentarily. There possibly is a down side to all this but I have yet to discover it.
Instead of using Alt & Enter to go full screen under this system, you use Alt & F11 combo to go from a small window to the Pseudo Full Screen. You just have to train your fingers to know better, but the cursor happily goes from screen to screen. :cheers:
Alex

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I had a third monitor running for a while on one of my old systems, but had to have a second video card to drive it.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

It sounds like you have the second monitor positioned in windows to the right instead of the left of the main display Mike.
Try checking in display settings (win 7 its Control panel, screen resolution ) Grab the small icon of the second screen (2) and move it to the left of (1)Make sure you have extend desktop to this display set on multiple displays
I run with 4 monitors with fsx set in full screen mode but only use the additional monitors for displaying instruments As others say to display additional views you need to me in windowed mode or the fix as Alex suggests
Atb
Dale
Image Image Image

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Gentlemen, one and all......
Many thanks for all those comments, I now have the left screen on the left.
Undocked a second VC view, and rotated it to looking out of the pilot side window.
With all the settings pretty much up to the right limits, had 12fps, which, at 3000ft wasn't too jumpy.
The party starts now, and you're all invited!
:guinn: :party: :party: :cheers:

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I've been running four screens now for two and a half years, just undock stuff as mentioned and move them where you want.

My video card has five outputs but I just don't have anywhere to physically put a fifth screen.

I still get 30 fps even running Concorde X.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

adysmith wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 06:49
I've been running four screens now for two and a half years, just undock stuff as mentioned and move them where you want.

My video card has five outputs but I just don't have anywhere to physically put a fifth screen.

I still get 30 fps even running Concorde X.
That's some video card Ady!
Are you willing to describe it, and your CPU?

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

CPU is an Intel i5 (it's two and a half years old) at 3.5 Ghz, 8 Gb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 video card.

When purchased the whole system was a wired2fire sim extreme 3000.

I got two 24 inch HDMI monitors second hand and two 20 inch HD monitors new.

It runs FSLabs Concorde X at 30 Fps with consumate ease.

Ady
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.